What is the Outlook Migration Assistant?
The Outlook Migration Assistant is a lightweight client app that provides a smoother migration experience. It automatically sets up Outlook, creates a new Outlook email profile and moves local data such as:
- POP email data
- Autocomplete cache
Download the Outlook Migration Assistant.
The Outlook Migration Assistant is recommended since it improves your migration experience, and it's required for moving POP email services. If it's not possible to use, we'll still be able to migrate the data on your mail server. (Learn more about your migration options.)
Who can use the Outlook Migration Assistant?
The email account owner or the local admin can set up the migration tool. The Outlook Migration Assistant supports the following configurations:
- Windows 7, 8 and 10
- Outlook for Windows including versions 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
- Office 365 license types that support client-level Exchange access.
- .Net Framework 4.6
The Outlook Migration Assistant isn't available for Linux, Outlook for Mac users, and anyone using Outlook 2003 or 2007. In those cases, we can migrate your email but can't move your local data (contacts/calendars/tasks, signatures and autocomplete cache). Determine what type of migration is right for your email account.
Support scenarios and system requirements:
- Windows 7, 8, and 10 (Apple/Linux devices are unsupported)
- Office 365 supported versions of Outlook on Windows (no thin clients):
- Outlook 2010 - 14.0.7164.5002 Service Pack 2 (KB2687455) and the December 8, 2015 update (KB2760779) or higher
- Outlook 2013 - 15.0.4779.1002 Service Pack 1 (KB2850036) and the December 8, 2015 update (KB3121650) or higher
- Outlook 2016 - Subscription: 16.0.6568.20xx or MSI: 16.0.4312.1001 (KB2920684 & KB4011626) or higher
- Outlook 2019
- .Net Framework 4.6
- Office 365 license type that supports client-level Exchange access.
- Local Administrator rights to download and install the Outlook Assistant.
- Multifactor Authentication (MFA) on the destination Office 365 tenant. MFA (e.g. 2FA) will prevent Outlook profiles from being created in Office 365. If possible delay deployment of MFA or disable it for migrating end users until after the migration is complete.
- Running two versions of Outlook side-by-side.
- Upgrading Outlook after the Outlook Assistant has been installed.
- Terminal Servers/Services (e.g. VDI, RDP, Citrix, etc.)
- Some third-party applications that customize the MAPI properties of Outlook items or add additional, proprietary properties (e.g. MDaemon).
- Mobile Devices (e.g. Android, iOS, etc.)
- Macs and Outlook for Macs. In the final end user email, Mac users are provided with instructions to setup Outlook, and access Outlook on the web.
- Outlook 2003 and 2007. Office 365 does not support Outlook 2003 and 2007. When migrating from these versions of Outlook, the Outlook Assistant provides desktop readiness checks. In the final email, users are given a link to access Office 365 email through Outlook on the web. If Outlook 2003 or 2007 is upgraded, the Outlook Assistant will automatically configure the upgraded Outlook to work with Office 365.