Transfer domain to another registrar
The process for transferring a domain name registered with GoDaddy to another registrar is not hard, but it does take time. You'll complete some steps with GoDaddy and some steps with the new registrar. The total process can take up to 10 days to complete.
If you want to move a domain name from one GoDaddy account to another GoDaddy account, see Move a domain to another GoDaddy account.
You're not eligible to transfer a domain for a 60-day period after the following events:
• Registering or transferring a domain name
• Updating the registrant contact's organization
• Updating the registrant contact's first or last name and an organization is not listed
You're not eligible to transfer a domain for a 10-day period after changing your domain from one GoDaddy account to another via the Account Change Process.
For more information, see ICANN's Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy and our Domain Name Change of Registrant Agreement.
To Transfer Domain Names to Another Registrar
Complete the following steps with GoDaddy
- Verify contact information: Verify that the administrator's contact information for the domain is correct (or registrant's email for .au domains). All emails regarding the transfer will go to the administrator's email (or registrant's email for .au domains). To review and edit your contact information, see Change domain contact information.
- Unlock your domain
- Cancel Protected or Private registration: If the domain has Protected Registration or Private Registration, you'll need to cancel it. For more information, see Cancel Protected Registration or Cancel Private Registration.
Complete the following steps with your new registrar
- Get an authorization code: Check with your new registrar to see if you need an authorization code (EPP code). If you need one, see Get an authorization code to transfer my domain to another registrar.
Many country-code top-level domain names (ccTLDs) don't require an authorization code. However, there are a few exceptions where you'll need to contact customer support to get an authorization code. For more information, see Authorization codes to transfer ccTLDsFor .uk domain transfers, please contact customer support and have the IPS tag of the new registrar (get this from your new registrar) ready when you call.
- Initiate the transfer: At the new registrar, initiate the transfer and provide the authorization code, if needed. This is different for each registrar, so you may need to consult the other registrar's help or support for specific instructions.
Check the domain's administator's email
- Accept or deny the transfer: GoDaddy will email you instructions to complete the transfer. If you do not accept or deny the transfer request within five days, GoDaddy will automatically accept the transfer for you. For more information, see Accepting or Declining a Transfer to Another Registrar.
- Receive confirmation: GoDaddy will email you confirmation when the transfer is complete.