Move my Microsoft 365 email away from GoDaddy
There might be a need to go to Microsoft directly or another Cloud Solution Partner (CSP), such as to add additional products or features not included in plans from GoDaddy. While we're sad to see you go, we're here to help transfer your email to your new provider.
If you're moving to Microsoft directly, contact our GoDaddy Guides for help.
Note: Please keep in mind that you won't be able to purchase new Microsoft 365 plans from GoDaddy until your email organization has completed its move.
Select a topic to jump to that section:
Here's an overview of the process to move your email organization away from GoDaddy:
- Contact us to request the move.
- We'll create a ticket for your move request, which has a timeframe of 7-10 days. Confirm your email accounts are currently active and do not expire within the next 5 business days.
- You'll need to sign in to Microsoft directly using the temporary password we send you.
Requirements to move
Before you can move your Microsoft 365 email away from GoDaddy:
- You must be able to validate your GoDaddy account.
- The email associated with your GoDaddy account can't be the email address moving away.
- Your email plans must be active and not in a suspended or failed billing state.
- If you're moving Email Archiving to another provider, you must be able to specify who the new provider is and the new provider must be aware of the pending archive move to them.
- You must review the move questions with a GoDaddy Guide.
Our GoDaddy Guides will review the following with you to prepare for the move:
- Is your contact email address not part of the organization being moved?
- The email address in your GoDaddy account must be separate from the email organization moving away. We'll reset passwords for users in the organization, so you need a different email address to access the messages we'll send you.
- Are you using any email add-ons?
- If there are any email add-ons, those services are deleted as part of the move. Email Archiving, provided by Barracuda, is the exception. If you want to move your archive, you'll need to notify your new email provider that you're moving archiving to them.
- Do you agree to move the organization to Microsoft directly or another CSP?
- GoDaddy will no longer have access to the organization and can’t provide support after the move.
- Available plans and pricing at Microsoft or another CSP might not match GoDaddy’s available plans and pricing.
- The organization can't move back to GoDaddy once it has moved away.
- Do you understand that all passwords must be changed for users in the organization?
- GoDaddy will provide temporary passwords, which you're notified about in the ticket we create.
- After we change the passwords, all users need to set new permanent passwords. You can no longer use the GoDaddy sign-in page to access Microsoft 365.
- Do you understand that you'll need to buy new email plans to avoid a lapse in service?
- GoDaddy will notify you by email when you need to buy new plans from the destination CSP and assign them to users as needed. 7 days after the addresses are deleted in our database, GoDaddy will remove our plans from the organization and end our relationship to the organization.
- Why do you want to move your email away from GoDaddy?
- Please explain your reason for moving your email away from GoDaddy. Your response is optional, but we appreciate your feedback since it helps us improve our product offerings and functionality in the future.
Note: GoDaddy will move your archive to your new archiving partner as part of this process. You must complete the move to the archiving partner before the email organization can move away.
- Here's how to change the contact email address in your GoDaddy account.
- To learn more, see our Statement of Support.