FileZilla: FTP settings to upload your website
This video and the instructions below it explain how to upload website files to your cPanel shared hosting account using the FTP client, Filezilla.
FileZilla is a free file transfer protocol (FTP) client that lets you upload websites to your hosting account. After you upload your website via FTP, it will be visible by browsing to your domain name.
- Download, install, and launch FileZilla.
- Complete the following fields, and then click Quickconnect.
Note: To make sure you use the right information, it helps to know what type of hosting account you have.
Field What to enter... Host Your domain name or IP address (cPanel / Plesk / Web & Classic) Username Your FTP username (cPanel / Plesk / Web & Classic) Password Your FTP password (cPanel / Plesk / Web & Classic) Port 21
- In the Remote Site area, open your website's root directory (cPanel / Plesk / Web & Classic).
- In the Local Site area, open the folder containing your website. This folder should contain your website's index file - like
- To upload your website, select all of your website's files and directories, and then drag them from the Local Site area into the Remote Site area.
Note: How long it takes to upload your website depends on its size and your internet connection.
Now that your files are uploaded, you can go to your domain name and see your website!
- Now that your website is live, you can start monitoring your website's visitors (cPanel / Plesk / Web & Classic)
Note: As a courtesy, we provide information about how to use certain third-party products, but we do not endorse or directly support third-party products and we are not responsible for the functions or reliability of such products. Third-party marks and logos are registered trademarks of their respective owners. All rights reserved.