Edit an A record
A records, or address records, are the most fundamental type of DNS record and are used to indicate the IP address of a domain. You can edit the details of existing A records in your GoDaddy DNS zone file at any time. If you're trying to change your www record, you'll need to edit your CNAME record instead.
Changes to an existing A record could cause your website or email service to stop working properly.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy Domain Portfolio. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select Domain Edit Options next to your domain and then select Edit DNS. You may need to scroll down to see Edit DNS.
- Select the checkboxes next to the DNS records you need to edit and then select Edit.
- To edit a single DNS record, select Edit next to the specific record you'll be editing.
- Enter the details for your A record:
- Name: The hostname or prefix of the record, without the domain name. Enter @ to put the A record on your root domain, or enter a prefix, such as blog or shop, to create a subdomain that points to an IP address.
- Value: The IP address the record corresponds to. This is commonly the IP address for a hosting account.
- Select Add another value to add more IP addresses to this record.
- TTL (Time to Live): The amount of time the server should cache information before refreshing. The default setting is 1 hour.
- Select Save to confirm your edits. If you added multiple records at the same time, select Save All Records.
Most DNS changes take effect within an hour but could take up to 48 hours to update globally.
- Add a new A record or delete DNS records you no longer need.
- Create a DNS template to quickly apply DNS records to your domains.
- Get started with professional email and stay connected to your community.