Edit a TXT record
A TXT record (short for text record) is an informational DNS record used to associate a string of text to a host or other name. They're commonly used to verify domain ownership, complete SSL verification, and create email sender policies, such as SPF records and DMARC policies. You can edit an existing TXT record that has been added to your domain's zone file at any time.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy Domain Portfolio. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select Domain Edit Options next to your domain and then select Edit DNS. You may need to scroll down to see Edit DNS.
- Select the checkboxes next to the DNS records you need to edit and then select Edit.
- To edit a single DNS record, select Edit next to the specific record you'll be editing.
- Edit the details for your TXT record:
- Name: The hostname or prefix of the record, without the domain name. Enter @ to put the record on your root domain, or enter a prefix, such as mail.
- Value: The text string for the record. This is usually provided by your SSL, hosting, or email provider. The Value must follow these guidelines:
- Maximum 1024 characters are allowed
- Only ASCII characters are allowed
- TTL (Time to Live): The amount of time the server should cache information before refreshing. The default setting is 1 hour.
- (Optional) Select Add More Records to add multiple DNS records at the same time. If you change your mind, select Delete to remove any records that haven't been saved yet.
- Select Save to confirm your edits. If you added multiple records at the same time, select Save All Records.
Most DNS updates take effect within an hour, but could take up to 48 hours to update globally.
- Edit an existing TXT record if you need to make any changes.
- Check out how TXT records can be used as an SPF record to help prevent email spoofing.
- Get started with professional email and stay connected to your community.
- Create a DNS template to quickly apply DNS records to your domains.
- Turn on auto-renew to continue your domain registration uninterrupted.
- Set up 2-step verification for the best security on your domains and account.