to the remote connection. I am getting below error:

ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer

I tried to look in google but no clear answers. Any help Smiley Sad

8 REPLIES 8
Employee
Employee

Re: ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer

Hello @kiranalugonda!

Thank you for posting! Have you enabled SSH from within cPanel? Also, just so I'm clear on what you're trying to do, are you trying to SSH from your local machine to your hosting account? You may want to reach out to our support team to troubleshoot if you're still having trouble so they can look at your account and make sure everything is ok for this connection on this end. 

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Same problem here. I tried login a few time, I'm having problems whit the ssh key, server keep asking the password. Now I just  get  'ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer' message.

Did this get resolved, I am also having the similar problem after failed login attempts. Which connecting with another internet connection it seems to work. 

Godaddy customer care does not have a clue on this issue. They are asking me to call the ISP.

Same problem here Smiley Sad Soooo frustrating!

Please post a solution here, or state that there's none, and that it's a bug in GoDaddy's platform... If I'm not able to access my server's terminal to install nodejs & other libraries, I'll be ,sadly, forced to move to another provider who provides such services seamlessly..

Solution

hi guys, 

I found a solution for this, so it might help for you too...

What happening here is that after x attempt to login (with wrong password) godaddy blacklists your ip. you can not find your ip in a blacklist, even if you try to search on their public db.

first make sure, that in ~/.ssh you have your privatekey file (you can download this from their system)

i had a config file also in the ~/.ssh so I added a new record to that, with the same credentials: username, host, etc.

Make sure on goddady for few things:

what is your IP / you can see it on the main cpanel window

what is your username / i found my username above the IP, where you see /home/dfasdfasdf (dfasdfasdf is your username Smiley Happy

is your public ssh key authorised / go to the ssh settings and authorise your public key

you should also check the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file, Im nut sure that its necessary to change the PAM to no,

but I did...

when you want to connect with ssh, just use this format:

ssh username@IP

than they will ask your password for the username@IP / this is your main password which u use to login godaddy, if its asking the phasphase, thats the password you added when generated the ssh key

And here comes the trick:

Because your IP is blacklisted bu godaddy there is no way to connect with that ip, so you can cheat, and try different ips, like share the internet of your mobile or use a vpn. Both will work, and you can login with ssh

Cheers

Can you post an example of what you put in the config file under which labels?  IE what it looks like in your config file.

@wenotine wrote:

i had a config file also in the ~/.ssh so I added a new record to that, with the same credentials: username, host, etc.

That's true, your public IP has been blocked and the only way is to ask GoDaddy support team to unblock it.

You can test this is the problem by using another WiFi connection i.e your cellphone and you'll see that the password is prompted by using a different IP address, I've explained the procedure here.

Helfgott
Solution

I had this same problem after a few failed login attempts, because I was using the wrong password and thought I just typed it wrong. The solution for me was simple, as it likely is for most people. I have a dynamic IP, but my Internet connection stays up for months at a time without a glitch, so the problem was persistent. All I had to do was reset my connection, forcing a new IP to be issued. Problem solved! No files needed to be edited, and no support calls had to be made. I hope this helps the next person to save some time.