cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.htaccess file issue

I am not a coder/developer

I Had Made a change to the website url(site address in wordpress general settings)

was checking robots.txt and sitemap.xml for SEO audit and found 404 errors(was showing rightly till this day)

did some reading and found that it was because of the change in address and i had to got to wordpress - setting - permalinks section and click on save changes without changing anything.

tried saving in permalink folder in wordpress settings(without changing anything).

Instead found a message that i need to update my .htaccess file and also a code (mod_rewrite rules) to copy and paste

logged in to Godaddy(hosting provider) and in Cpanel and and opened file manager(root document) ;

found the .htaccess file, selected it and clicked edit(just edit not code editor)

found the script with the similar code, but on the - RewriteBase and RewriteRule . lines, only / was present instead of the additional text i added to my url(to make it SEO friendly)

I replaced this old code with the new one that i got from wordpress in the permalinks section.

The permalink section was still asking for updating .htaccess

i went to Cpanel - file manager - .htaccess - edit , again

i saw the change in the space between

but in between the tags # BEGIN WordPress and # END WordPress tags , their was a second code,the same old code that i had replace with the modified url in it.

i am not sure if that was there the first time. So too similar codes now, one new(that i replaced) and one at the end(the old version).

i replaced that with the new too.

still the problem is there.

Moreover , now when i checked my site for robots.txt and sitemap.xml , it says that there is an INTERNAL SERVER ERROR

what do i do now, i think i made a mistake in copying the code. Also, the change to the url was made to site address and not wordpress address.