cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

dart sass fails with error loading shared library libstdc++.so.6

Hi,

I tried calling phone tech support about this but the guy I spoke to didn't have a clue, no comprehension at all of what I was asking about.

I access my hosting via SSH login to the shell.

I have unpacked the Sass pre-processor (the Dart version) in my home directory. When I run it, I get the error:

error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The library libstdc++.so.6 is present on the system (it's in /usr/lib64) but I think the Sass executable is a 32-bit executable? ... so maybe that is a problem.

I have tried setting $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /usr/lib64 in my ~.bashrc but this didn't have any effect.

Nonetheless on other hosting systems I am using, not with GoDaddy, this same setup with Sass works just fine.

My question is: should I be able to run Sass on my GoDaddy hosting? Is this an error that can be fixed please (by apt-getting the correct libraries?)... or am I not supposed to be able to run programs like Sass on a GoDaddy server? It would be great if this could be fixed.

I don't know where to take this from here if the phone tech support GoDaddy provides is not able to properly understand the problem I am experiencing.

Thanks Community for any help you can suggest!

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: dart sass fails with error loading shared library libstdc++.so.6

Hi @francisbarton. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! To be honest, most of what you're asking is a bit over my head. However, I can tell you that if you are on a shared hosting platform, like cPanel Hosting, then you won't be able to use apt-get as you wouldn't have the needed permissions on the server. However, if you have a VPS or Dedicated Server, then that's something you should be able to do. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hi @JesseW 

Thank you for taking the time and care to reply.

I'm on shared cPanel hosting and I'm aware I can't fix this problem by myself. That's why I'm asking for help.

If someone at GoDaddy could look into installing or linking the missing library on the server, that would be wonderful. I phoned the tech support line but the guy I spoke to was no help.

Sass is not a complicated or dangerous piece of software to run, it's quite common, and works fine on other hosting accounts I use. If it can't be sorted out by GoDaddy then I will probably have to look at moving my sites elsewhere, as Sass is a part of my workflow now.

Cheers.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @francisbarton - I see what you're saying. This isn't something GoDaddy would do for just one account/server. It would have to be something rolled out to all. As such, it would probably take a while to have the suggestion reviewed, approved, and rolled out. I will pass on your feedback, but if you need this available soon, you may need to use another provider. We'd hate to see you go, but we understand that you have to do what's best for your business. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Solution

@JesseWgood news!

I have solved it. I took a step back and realised that I had probably installed the wrong version of Sass on my account. I removed the 64bit version and installed the 32bit version instead and it works fine. That was the obvious implication of the error I was getting, but I never thought to check which version I had unpacked.

I thought I would post the resolution here in case anyone comes across this issue in future.

Thank you for your support.