cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Restarting my server in cpanel hosting

All the help documents I have seen (Googled) talk about signing in to GoDaddy then clicking 'servers' to be able to select a power cycle.

When I login there is no section titled 'server'.

How do I proceed?

I need to be able to restart my server to bring a modified php.ini into effect from my public_html folder.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Restarting my server in cpanel hosting

@MacNala 

The restarting you are refer to is on the VPS servers not the cPanel servers.

That being said if you create a PHP page in your public_html folder

and put in it

<?php 
phpinfo();
?>

Then visit that page via a browser it should read the settings - the other thing is to try using

.user.ini 

and not php.ini

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks for the reply.

A little more help would be if you could point out where I could read about VPS (I cannot find it when I log in). Also you refer to using 'user.ini' where can I read about that?

I think you have said that I cannot restart my server in cPanel hosting. Is that correct?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@MacNala 

The difference between a cPanel server (https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting) and a VPS

(https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/vps-hosting) could be described as having the keys to a single apartment vs having keys to the entire building and having control over everything in the building.

Regarding php.ini vs .user.ini - in some respects these are the same thing with a different name. From a tech perspective, some servers are configured to look for one vs the other as a way to "protect" the server as the .user.ini is a bit more restrictive in what it can control. (Very high level description of the 2 https://www.pair.com/support/kb/php-ini-vs-user-ini/)

Finally - yes that is correct - You can restart a VPS server - think of rebooting your personal computer - Additionally you can restart just pieces of the server - think quitting a program and re-opening it.

The cPanel is an "account" on the server - so there isn't anything the account can restart

Using the building analogy - where in cPanel is the apartment - You can adjust the some of the settings for the apartment (temp / lights / few other things) but if you don't have enough water pressure let's say.....that's something at the building level (VPS) 

Hope that helps explain it a bit more

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community