cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

FTP Will Not Connect using FileZilla

This used to work, but now when I try to connect via FileZilla to FTP, I get a connection timeout. Could not connect to server. This happens at work and at home on two different computers. Any thoughts?

49 REPLIES 49

Re: FTP Will Not Connect using FileZilla

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers, but I can tell you that this happened to me last time I tried to connect via SFTP using Filezilla. I have 10 accounts in Managed hosting and they were all giving me trouble, off and on. I called in and eventually got it to work on the one I needed it to, but it stopped right after I hung up from support.  Support insinuated that I was just using the wrong password, but I know that wasn't the problem. There's definitely something going on with the SFTP connections.

Helper V

@leehrat

Hello there,

I had to use the older filezilla to connect. Something going on with the new filezilla .......

I just x out of the pop up saying there is a new filezilla update now or something rather.

Roll back your filezilla and see if that helped you too?

Wish you well

Mrsroadrunner Photography

Good thought. I did end up getting support on chat and they said to use a specific IP address to connect to for the host and not my domain name. So that actually worked!

FileZilla does not work with GoDaddy/Comcast reliably.  I have been having trouble with it for months, maybe years (get too many connections from this IP error 421).  I finally switched back to Ipswitch WS_FTP LE and I have no problems.  

New

I was having the same problem.  When I specified Port 21 (typed 21 in the box next to port) in the quickconnect settings, it started working.  Try that and see if it helps.

Same problem,  Firewall was blocking.  We're a small company so I can play with stuff if I'm really careful.  Using my browser logged into hardware modem using the admin account.

Found the firewall setting was set to "normal" and moved it down to off.

Filezilla worked, made connection.

Went back to the open browser window, put the firewall setting back, saved, done.

To thoroughly wring it out I would have downloaded firewall settings into a text file and looked for missing/disabled things Godaddy's sftp needed - might be ports, protocols, etc.  BUT who's got the time.

I just joined GoDaddy from HostGator, seems I may have to go back to HostGator and figure things out there.  I've NEVER had any issues with them in connectivity.  I can't even get FileZilla to connect using FTP or SFTP.  I've tried various methods like using either my numerical or direct host name and a few other tricks.  Nothing at all.  I tried hitting the chat button but that went gray and was told to call but from what I'm reading here that well may be a waste of time as well.  If a hosting service can't keep up with the demand then there's a problem internally, not us! 

Hi can I know which FTP you are trying to connect? like what hosting are you in? Godaddy?

FYI: There are some point in hosting specially when you are on the Shared Business Hosting many websites FTP trying to connect on it and when server is full it will respond as 'Connection Time Out there are 5 connection trying to connect...' or something.

New

HAS ANYONE GOT AN ANSWER FOR THIS?????

New

Godaddy is the worst! My client used this junk and I have to deal with it. 

Are you all still experiencing this issue? I am really annoyed! Filezilla used to work and not I'm having sorts of problems. The timed out error is dumb because my username and password are correct, no question. My IP is also correct as I pasted it directly from the cpanel.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Disregard

Bump...really need an answer to this. I am using the IP address, a username/password combo I created in the cPanel. I'm able to reach the server, but when it goes to log in, we get an "authentication failed" message, even though I double checked the username/password combo.

Thanks, in advance.

New

Have the same problem. Works fine using the IP for a little while, then right back to the authentication crap. It would be nice if Godaddy would fix this, instead of making more terrible commercials. The more I research this problem, the more people I find having the same issue. It's almost as if Godaddy doesn't care. Their quality is really starting to show, and its on a downward trend. 

So annoying and frustrating, and they just don't seem to care at all.

Edit: What a joke... tried numerous times to connect with IP, so for giggles I put it back to domain name, and it connects instantly.

Hey all,

After chatting with a rep, I finally got a (sort of) answer: I had to change my password. Like a few other people on this thread seemed to say, this rep implied that I was typing the password in incorrectly (which is impossible, because I copy and pasted it into both the ftp client and my godaddy account and it let me log into godaddy... but whatever.) and whether that is true or not (it isn't.), changing my password worked immediately. Hopefully that helps everyone else, because I cannot imagine a worse way to upload a site than through their stupid one-file-at-a-time browser platform. Torture.

GOOD LUCK, ALL!

Response: 421 Home directory not available - aborting

Error:        Could not connect to server

I keep getting this error. I've googled it and it says home directory does not exist.... how do I fix this?

Nevermind, I fixed it by creating a new FTP account in Cpanel and changing the path to the public_html so if anyone has that problem, thats how I fixed it.

I have two sites, one works fine with the ip address, the other will not but if I use the domain name, and it connects. Try using your domain if your ip address will not work

Another thing to try is click on Edit->Settings 

On Connection on the left side of settings, look for Timeout on the right hand side.  I set mine to 0 to disable timing out errors.  Never had a problem connecting or transferring files since I did that.

New

I was able to fix it like this:

FileZilla --> Edit --> Settings --> SFTP: Check "Enable compression"

Seems to work so far 😕

I fixed this by adding a site explicitly to FileZilla (File...Site Manager), adding in the credentials and then choosing 'Only use plain FTP (insecure)' as the Encryption option. Looks like there are bug in the TLS handling.

New
Solution

Try to connect using these steps.

1.go to your ftp accounts on cpanel.

2.click on configure ftp clients.

3.note down the server ip address of the hosting account for Ex;(127.0.0.1).

4.open filezilla and goto site manager .

5.in host field write down the ip address of the hosting server and port 21.

6.In encryption tab only use plain ftp insecure.

7.In logon method select Ask for password.

8.enter the username & password shown in configure ftp clients.

9.its done it connects automatically.

New

The thing that worked for me is the xml settings file from cPanel

go to cPanel>FTP Accounts>

at the bottom you can see the Accounts you already have created

click on Configure FTP Client. This will give you an xml file. Just follow the instructions and import it in Filezilla. 

Yeeeeehaaa !!!!! 

Thank You !!!

"enable compression" fixed ALL of my problems 🙂

Helper IV
Helper IV

To log in through FTP (FileZilla).  You should know the primary credentials of your web hosting.  Follow the video tutorial below.

https://youtu.be/J2ai0HvMVd8

Thank You.

You make a good point. Some of these shared hosting account servers have hundreds of websites on them. One site getting lots of traffic can cause trouble, but the company isn't going to tell you that. Same thing with large amounts of data being uploaded. It causes a bottleneck and it times out before it can get connected or started? All hosting companies are not equal, and overloading a server isn't a problem for them until it starts causing tech issues or customers start complaining.

FTP issues & FileZilla

You make a good point. Some of these shared hosting account servers have hundreds of websites on them. One site getting lots of traffic can cause trouble, but the company isn't going to tell you that. Same thing with large amounts of data being uploaded. It causes a bottleneck and it times out before it can get connected or started? All hosting companies are not equal, and overloading a server isn't a problem for them until it starts causing tech issues or customers start complaining.

I'm unable to connect using FileZilla. I was able to do so earlier this week. However, today access has stopped. Below is the error message I'm receiving. My username and password has not changed in over five years.

Status:    Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command:    USER anonymous
Response:    331 User anonymous OK. Password required
Command:    PASS **************
Response:    530 Login authentication failed
Error:    Critical error: Could not connect to server

Exact same problem. Created a new user ID now I can connect but get time out listing directory.

has anyone solved any of theses issues? Going to recommend my client drop Go Daddy.

New

File Zilla (instead of updating the Zilla) I stepped back one version when it used to work oh so well. It works like a charm.  It was so frustrating that everyone at work was complaining about this.  I taught them all how to step back one version and keep hitting the close on the update box one extra click is worth less headache. So how did Go Daddy make File Zillla update their software? 

New

I've used Godaddy for years and it can be bad but never as bad as it was last 2 days.  After hours trying to hookup using filezilla 3 (ftp settings from godaddy configurer, old previously working filezilla and dreamweaver CC server settings) changing the host to the cpanel "Website(s) IP Address" hooked right up.  

Frustrating

New

Yea, just forget filezilla... it should be called crapzilla.  I was simply looking to backup my small company's website, hosted on godaddy, and had absolutely no luck after trying all suggestions.

I went and installed WinSCP and all our files are downloading as I type this.  It took me all of 5 minutes to review a couple ftp's, download WinSCP, install it and start the download process.

Thanks for nothing crapZilla.

I too switched from Hostgator to GoDaddy and now I can't get Filezilla to connect. I have been on the phone with support and they have sent me a new password and troubleshooting information but I still get a 530 Login authentication failed. I am NOT happy!

Had OP's problem, somewhat intermittent at first then persistent. 

I used IP address and port 21 to connect and FZ reported it didn't recognize GD's cert, provided details and gave option to recognize cert for the site. Accepted option and connected. No problems so far.

Wayneau

This seems to happen all the time for me too. From what I can gather you can only upload a certain amount of times before it stops working, almost as though each upload is a new log in/log out and maybe there is a maximum amount it can be used. Iit's very frustrating and happens on all the godaddy accounts I've used to date.

New

@odie1 wrote:

I was able to fix it like this:

FileZilla --> Edit --> Settings --> SFTP: Check "Enable compression"

Seems to work so far 😕

That didn't work for me.  Two sites.  Both connect fine but cannot upload anything but htm files.  php and db files, the existing file gets removed, the file name is created and then it fails.  The result is I have a 0 byte file.

New

@mylari wrote:

That didn't work for me.

Had the same problem. Here is the fix.

Problem with xml file downloaded from GD and imported to Filezilla (FZ). Domain name repeated twice (eg. username@example.com@example.com).

You need to have that changed in FZ by going to: File, Site Manager and select your site and edit there(to:username@example.com). Make sure you save these changes in FZ. This fixed the login issue problem for me by clicking OK. You can connect later after the edit. Use IP Address if domain name does not work. Use Port 21. Hope these helps.

Helper IV
Helper IV

Video Walkthrough: FileZilla: SFTP Settings To Upload Your Website

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Managing-Web-Hosting/FileZilla-SFTP-settings-to-upload-your-websit...

How to Generate the access keys in cPanel.

Connect to your shared hosting account with SSH

https://goo.gl/e81abo

If needed, create your public and private keys as per the instructions in the SSHaccess for Shared Hosting. If you already have created keys for SSH access, the same keys will be used for SFTP.

New

Zilla FTP wouldn't connect for me until i changed my password.  Apparently i had an old password that did not meet the current spec/format.  I changed the password and was forced to match the newer specified format and the FTP connected and worked right away.

Solved it.  ONLY USE PLAIN FTP (INSECURE)

Set up under file and sites, not quick connect.

Enter FTP or domain name. Left the port blank.

Protocol:  FTP

I changed the encryption from tls to ONLY USE PLAIN FTP (INSECURE)

connected without a problem.

It appears to be a problem with the godaddy ftp server that doesn't accept the encryption of Filezilla.

I was hopeful but that didn't fix it for me. Also tried switching from Port 22 (which was the setting I received from GoDaddy) to Port 21. No luck there either.

Yes none of these options helped me either. It seems to be that it blocks my IP address after a while for no reason. So the solution for me was to install a VPN. As soon as my real ip address gets blocked I switch the VPN on and it works. 

Seems to be a major flaw with godaddy. I dont have this problem with any other host. My Ip isnt static either so it's not specific to one ip. It seems to be a problem in austria atleast.

On your page calld hosting details find the SSH icon and make sure its enabled. 

The create a new username and password.

should work

i want to create cpanel for myself where do i need to go

Why does this work and nothing else does

how can i get the inferred ip address?  id does not show an ip address anywhere on the page-  

it only shows 

ftp username, server and port #-  no ip anywhere

@mylari wrote:

I am using WordPress hosting so I don't have access to cPanel.

Error: Could not connect to server
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Could not connect to server

Community Manager
Community Manager

@tygerspryd - If you have a cPanel account, you should be able to find this by logging in and visiting https://myh.godaddy.com, then clicking on the domain for the account you want to manage. The first panel on the next page that loads should look like what is shown below.

CP-IP address.png

@mojmiles If you are using Managed WordPress, you'll need to use SFTP to connect to your hosting account. Also, you'll want to manually enter your IP address as the host, since your DNS service seems to be resolving to an AAAA record instead of your A record. You should be able to see this on the https://myh.godaddy.com page, right next to your hosting domain name. 

MWP-IP.png

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.