Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    BrianP123
    New

Do not use external domains to send e-mail "from" through relays.

GoDaddy just changed their mail relay policy (according to tech support) to not allow "From" e-mail addresses in the gmail.com domain.

It has been working for years and suddenly stopped 2 days ago with no warning at all. The result is that on one of the godaddy accounts I manage,  customer e-mails were not reaching me.

This was a breaking change and I had to go through numerous customer service calls before getting a real answer.

Capture.PNG

The first rep I got blamed it on nopCommerce and everything else under the sun and clearly had zero idea how servers and services work.

The second rep said "oh yeah, that should have never worked so we changed it".

It is completely unacceptable to change policy like this and cause downtime. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    PL281
    Super User IV

@BrianP123 

While I agree with you that it would have been nice to get a notification about a change like this, I must say from a best practice perspective - Many services like GMAIL, YAHOO, Comcast and others - will end up going to spam or just not be delivered if the email doesn't originate from their servers as this is done to help prevent spoofing and mis-use of email.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
    PL281
    Super User IV

@BrianP123 

While I agree with you that it would have been nice to get a notification about a change like this, I must say from a best practice perspective - Many services like GMAIL, YAHOO, Comcast and others - will end up going to spam or just not be delivered if the email doesn't originate from their servers as this is done to help prevent spoofing and mis-use of email.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

JesseW
    Community Manager

Hi @BrianP123. Thanks for posting. In my time with GoDaddy (since 2009), the limitation on sending from free email accounts using scripts has always been in place. The reason for this (that @PL281 alluded to) is that if you're able to send a message this way, you're essentially sending spoofed email. In other words, you're sending a message that indicates it came from one email server when it actually comes from a different one. The majority of reputable email providers will flag this. In the scenario you're showing in your screenshot, you'd need to be authenticating and sending through Gmail's server instead of secureserver.net if you wanted to send it without it being spoofing.

I'm not sure why this was working for you in the past, but I would agree with the second Care Guide you spoke with in that it should never have been. I apologize for any confusion. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.