cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Wordpress Images Uploading but Not Visible

I am using Godaddy's cPanel Hosting for Wordpress, and am unable to upload via the media tab. It shows the upload is complete and gives me a URL to the file; it even shows the file correctly when I try to edit the image, but my Media gallery is full of blank boxes.

So far I have unclicked the option to store files by month and year, but don't know what else to do.

EDIT: the images I'm trying to upload are only 180 kb or so; not anything that woudl exceed an upload limit.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Wordpress Images Uploading but Not Visible

@aaronkerscher

Two things come to mind -- permissions or a conflict.  First makes sure you are on the most recent version of WordPress 4.9.8 and that all plugins are updated.

Then, check that the wp-content folder is set to 755.  If it is we know it is not permissions and it is probably a plugin conflict.

Disable the plugins folder by renaming it plugins-off.  You can do this via the cPanel file manager or FTP.   With all plugins disabled if the issue is resolved you know you have a bad actor.  You can then rename the plugins folder back to plugins and then disable/enable plugins one-by-one until you find the culprit.  Process of elimination!

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm having this same issue.  Tried the solution above and nothing changed.  Permission set to 755, disabled all the plugins and nothing.  All of my previously uploaded images are there, but none of the new uploads are showing.

Any other thoughts?

Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

@cacquistapace

Hmmm....  Usually one of the two solutions above will do the trick.  

=> When you disabled all plugins, did you clear your cache before checking again?  If not, give that a try.

=> Are you uploading via the WordPress dashboard?  If you upload images via FTP they won't display in the media library.

=> Did you recently migrate your site?  If so, go into Settings > Media and make sure that path to your images is correct for the new/current site.  

If none of the above does the trick, you'll have to get on the horn with GoDaddy and ask what's up. Smiley Wink

Judith
"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt