cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Site Issue - 500 Internal Server Error

tried to update a plug in now im getting 500 internal error please help this site needs to be up before the week ends

20 REPLIES 20
Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Site Issue - 500 Internal Server Error

@jwignal,

If you are on WordPress, and updating a plugin caused this -- you have a conflict.  Here's what you need to do:

=> Login via FTP and rename your plugins folder in wp-content from: plugins  to: pluginsOLD.  This will deactivate all plugins.   See if you can login.

=>  If you can it probably was the plugin you were updating.  Stay in your dashboard and go back in via FTP and reinstate the pluginsOLD to plugins.   Now you can go into your dashboard and reactivate all the other plugins one-by-one to make sure all is well.

=> I would contact the develper of the problem plugin and let them know what happended to see if they have any suggestions.

Of course you want to make sure that you are on the latest versions of WordPress and that your theme and plugins are compatible with the most recent version of WordPress (4.7.4)

HTH! 😉

Judith
"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

New

We have purchased theme from themeforest. We uploaded Wordpress on our domain and then installed the theme. But it is not getting activated. It is showing Internal Server 500 Error. On the contrary theme is working fine on localhost. We have taken all precautions while installing and tried all solutions for that. But we are unable to solve the issue. Please guide us. Thanks!

Employee
Employee

Hello @sushil!

Thank you for posting! Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your theme. Can you provide some additional information to help the community better understand your situation and help out? Which type of hosting are you using? Do you have the verbiage behind the 500 error? Etc. Thanks! 

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Thanks alot man, What I found was that the issue is with plesk really, My solution was to migrate the website to linux cpanel and I have no issues since .. BTW plesk does not have a htaccess folder is uses some config file . 

I too have received error 500 when trying to upload a premium theme from my hard drive or the Woocommerce plugin.

I have the theme/plugin uploaded and working with Blue host. 

I have also deleted and reinstalled Wordpress. 

Here is the verbiage on the error.

Installation failed: 500 Internal Server Error <!--[if lte IE 6]><![endif]--> Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error. More information about this error may be available in the server error log. Web Server at &#116;&#105;&#108;&#105;&#101;&#46;&#99;&#111;&#46;&#117;&#107;

Hi @Stefan99.

In general, a 500 Internal Server Error is generally caused by an error in the scripting or files of the site. I can only suggest that you try disabling any plugins first, setting the theme to a default theme, and then uploading and installing the new theme. If you continue to have trouble, you may want to try adding a different theme to see if the issue persists or if it's an issue specific to that theme.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

Hi Gary, Thank you for taking the time to respond. I had already stripped it back by deleting Wordpress and reinstalling so that there were no other plugins running.

I have already installed the exact theme from my hard disk on to another hosting site without error. 

Any idea how I escalate this to get it resolved?

Thanks for following up @Stefan99.

If you continue to have trouble with it, you might want to try manually uploading the theme.

You can try the steps in this article provided by WordPress:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Themes#Adding_New_Themes_Manually_.28FTP.29

^Gary

I am also having the same issues, what was the fix?

I feel that it is a resource issue. the user experience is terrible and my viewer feedback is making me look at hosting these sites back on my server..... GoDaddy looked so promising a few years back.

So I have disabled plugins / templates etc and the load speed / timeout is not consistent. it happens with everything off. Are the hosting servers not suited to Wordpress? At this stage I can not go live with the sites.

Hi @pezhardie, thanks for posting.

Without knowing any details about your site, it's hard to say what the issue might be. If you can follow up with your website and what specific service you were using, a member of the Community might be able to offer more suggestions.

^Gary

Hi Gary, 

http://www.new.pezhosting.com/Impulse/

On first try visiting i get 11 seconds before the page loads, 

when cached it is about 6 seconds. 

it was twice those times before I deactivated all plugins and activated them again. no single plugin caused the delay. 

I have been speaking to a work mate in the telco space and I have been told that it is a server issue. 

Next week I will run up the same instal on a server 1000km away and see what results I get.

Locally I am on a NBN 25meg connection and all other sites load in under 1 second.... not happy.

Perin

Hi @pezhardie.

For me the page loaded in a few seconds, but the majority of the load time was for a single large image.

I also found that a static file, such as http://www.new.pezhosting.com/Impulse/license.txt , loaded quickly without any issues. That shows that the server is responding quickly.

^Gary

Error 500 when i try to open my website. Im using html. heres what is displays: 

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@polyllc.org to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @polyllc,

sorry you are having problems. I was able to reach your server but as you, unable to open site. You would be best contacting support on this. The phone lines are 24/7:

https://www.godaddy.com/contact-us.aspx

I have encountered this problem, how to solve this problem? I do not want to use the stupid way to manually install the theme & plugin

Installation failed: 500 Internal Server Error <!--[if lte IE 6]><![endif]--> Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error. More information about this error may be available in the server error log. Web Server at...............

the user experience is terrible  agree

download (20).pngI am using WordPress as soon as i updated my plugins this happen and i have no clue how to fix this i really spend alot on this site and go-daddy hasn't helped me in anyway 

Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

@shawna12

Could indicate a plugin conflict...  Here is an article I have on GoDaddy's Garage to help you to troubleshoot that.

It is best to go through that process and eliminate potential conflicts so that when you contact GoDaddy Support, you can tell them you've done all that and need their assistance to troubleshoot further.

HTH! 😉

Judith
"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt