cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

SSL certificate requesting password

I installed a certificate in OSX Sierra at the end of November. It was really simple. I have decided to try to install it to cover Kerio mail but when I enter the Kerio certificate control panel and add the certificate it requests a password for the server.key. I don't remember creating any password/pass phrase when I generated the CSR but rekeyed it. Now when I go to add the new certificate it requests a password again. This time I definitely know that I didn't choose a password. What could be going wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: SSL certificate requesting password

@Kobytoo wrote:

I installed a certificate in OSX Sierra at the end of November. It was really simple. I have decided to try to install it to cover Kerio mail but when I enter the Kerio certificate control panel and add the certificate it requests a password for the server.key. I don't remember creating any password/pass phrase when I generated the CSR but rekeyed it. Now when I go to add the new certificate it requests a password again. This time I definitely know that I didn't choose a password. What could be going wrong?

@Kobytoo When you create an SSL Certificate the first step is to create a Private Key. Your private key can be protected by a Password or not. If a program is asking for a password then you will not be able to use the key unless you supply the password for the Private key. You can not recover the private key unless you attempt to brute force the password. If you don't have the password you will need to Rekey your certificate

Thanks for the reply. As I said, I did rekey it. I didn't think I used a password the first time but know I didn't use one the second time. It's very peculiar.

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@Kobytoo wrote:

Thanks for the reply. As I said, I did rekey it. I didn't think I used a password the first time but know I didn't use one the second time. It's very peculiar.

@Kobytoo ok, so did it work? If so, please accept my answer as a solution as it could be helpful for other people in the same situation in the future.

---

New

New

Asdasd123

It didn't ask me if I want to password protect my ssl certificate the first time and it didn't ask when I rekey... How can enable password protection?