cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Portal caching old SSL details

The GoDaddy portal is caching old details on SSL certificate.  I was troubleshooting a production issue and it was showing me the old SSL certificate because it was cached in my browser.  I was able to reproduce when on a support call and the solution by support was to use another browser to get the latest SSL certificate page. 

Once this was determined, I was able to get the latest SSL certificate info, the current serial number, etc to troubleshoot the issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Resolver III

Yes, this is one of those things you wouldn't expect. We got used to browsers caching the content of websites but they now do the same with certificates as well. The reason is the same - to speed up loading of the content. Browsers will often also skip real-time checks of certificate validity as well as it slows them down.

Just in case anyone wonders, hold the Shift key when you click the page re-load icon, and the browser should refresh the certificate. Also, if you do more experiments with your website, keeping the "developer toolbar/console" open disables caching in most cases... but that's a completely different topic.

Dan

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Resolver III

Yes, this is one of those things you wouldn't expect. We got used to browsers caching the content of websites but they now do the same with certificates as well. The reason is the same - to speed up loading of the content. Browsers will often also skip real-time checks of certificate validity as well as it slows them down.

Just in case anyone wonders, hold the Shift key when you click the page re-load icon, and the browser should refresh the certificate. Also, if you do more experiments with your website, keeping the "developer toolbar/console" open disables caching in most cases... but that's a completely different topic.

Dan

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net

View solution in original post