cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Action required: Prove that you own the domain before we can issue your SSL.

I am given two options to prove I own the domain.

1.  Update domain's DNS if you have access to it.

2.  Install a file on the website account associated with your domain.

My question is, what file am I to 'install'?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Resolver III

Hi,

You will need to get an email from GoDaddy with a code - which is a one line of more-less random characters. It should be sent once you submit your certificate request.

Once you receive the email, you need to create a ".well-known" folder where you host your website files. Then, inside this new ".well-known" folder you need to create sub-folder "pki-validation". In there you create a file "godaddy.html" which will contain only one line - the code you received from GoDaddy.

You can test it from your web browser by opening - let's say your domain is company.com:

company.com/.well-known/pki-validation/godaddy.html

If it shows the code, all good and GoDaddy will be able to verify your request. If it doesn't doublecheck that you can open file ".well-known/pki-validation/godaddy.html" locally on your server, and correct if necessary. If the file is there but you can't open it in your webbrowser, you may need to check your webserver configuration (it's quite common to have a different location set for the ".well-known" folder.

The official guide is: https://uk.godaddy.com/help/verify-domain-ownership-html-or-dns-for-my-ssl-certificate-7452

Dan

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Resolver III

Hi,

You will need to get an email from GoDaddy with a code - which is a one line of more-less random characters. It should be sent once you submit your certificate request.

Once you receive the email, you need to create a ".well-known" folder where you host your website files. Then, inside this new ".well-known" folder you need to create sub-folder "pki-validation". In there you create a file "godaddy.html" which will contain only one line - the code you received from GoDaddy.

You can test it from your web browser by opening - let's say your domain is company.com:

company.com/.well-known/pki-validation/godaddy.html

If it shows the code, all good and GoDaddy will be able to verify your request. If it doesn't doublecheck that you can open file ".well-known/pki-validation/godaddy.html" locally on your server, and correct if necessary. If the file is there but you can't open it in your webbrowser, you may need to check your webserver configuration (it's quite common to have a different location set for the ".well-known" folder.

The official guide is: https://uk.godaddy.com/help/verify-domain-ownership-html-or-dns-for-my-ssl-certificate-7452

Dan

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net

View solution in original post