cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

cPanel and Office 365 Autodiscover

We have an issue with Outlook 2016 trying to Auto discover to Office 365 (not GoDaddy Version), the DNS is all correct and with GoDaddy/Microsoft but the Auto discover is trying to connect to cPanel version which is not right.

Is there anyway of disabling or removing AutoDiscover from cPanel.

35 REPLIES 35
Employee
Employee

Re: cPanel and Office 365 Autodiscover

Hi @Stephen1

Thank you for your post. Sound like you may have an extra CNAME dns record causing the conflict. Or your network is caching the old CNAME autodiscover record. Please take a moment to review your DNS records and look for a CNAME:

Name: autodiscover

Points to: @

If you find the above record it may be causing the conflict. If you would like assistance reviewing your DNS records please feel free to contact our 24/7 customer support team and they will be happy to go over and review the DNS settings for your domain if you host your DNS with GoDaddy.

Best wishes!

-Techfly 

We have the exact same problem. It's a known issue in cPanel apparently. It's because of the order in which Autodiscover is done by the client before it even checks for a valid CNAME. This is IMPORTANT!

This can be confirmed via testconnectivity.microsoft.com when validating autodiscover.

In this case, the client finds (using example.com as an example for sake of discussion) https://example.com:443/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml

This then redirects with the following information to the client to p3nlwpproxy002.prod.phx3.secureserver.net which is **NOT** Office365!!!

We need a way to disable to autodiscover.xml file on your server so it's not being referred by the client.

Solution

Hey @C5support,

Did you check your cPanel MX settings to be sure they're set to 'Remote' instead of 'Local'? The autodiscover.xml file you're referencing would only be referred to locally if you haven't specified that your email should be directed to another provider via these settings. 

Let us know if that helps.

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

This was the perfect fix for us.  5 hours on the phone with Godaddy's support.  Called a bunch of times hoping to get the right person in the various departments and still no help.  Thanks to a more thorough google search, this thread came up.  Thanks. 

Same issue, many hours on the phone with GoDaddy, our wordpress developer and microsoft. NO RESULTS - I am so pissed I could spit!

We are having this same issue and getting nowhere with GoDaddy.  Our client is pissed as they think we botched their migration to office365 (despite explaining its an issue with how the website is hosted)

This is definitely something CPanel needs to address immediately.

Thanks, this was same issue for me. MS 365 support wanted to go through local pc registry hacks for autodiscover when it was obviously a DNS MX problem. 

Fixed!

^--  This worked.

Nothing has changed in our setup, but users that were previously working ok in Outlook (since going live with GoDaddy) suddenly were not configurable as new users to a PC.  The troubleshooting steps all seemed to be focused on autodiscover.  Microsoft had me add registry tweaks per user per pc to get it working, but that's a poor long term solution.  After a lot of searching found this thread, checked the MX setting, and sure enough it was set to local.  Changed to remote and now all is working again.  Thank you!

Glad it worked for you . Thanks for sharing. My MX records is set to address specified by Office365 Admin Group.

I still have no resolution....

This is because the MX Entries in cPanel hosting is set to "LOCAL" for your domain name.  Change this setting to "REMOTE" and it should fix the issue you are having.

This did the trick. Setting cPanel hosted MX Entry under email routing to 'Remote' instead of 'Local' worked like a charm. Thanks CG for your help...

GREAT RESPECT to whomever discovered this. I've been on the phone with GoDaddy, Microsoft, our WordPress developer, etc. GoDaddy was absolutely useless and blamed my DNS settings. Microsoft's only fix was the registry hack and our WP guy basically said it was my issue, not his. You have saved my ass. 

New

We just hit this same issue with cPanel - after two days of arguing with Hostgator and O365 support, they found the issue and fixed it. 

My boss is asking me if there is a way to create our own autodiscover page, in case cPanel (or someone else) reintroduces this bug.  Thoughts?

Thank you for this. I've been trying to figure it out since it started here about 2 months back.

I got no help from Microsoft, GoDaddy or the developer.

Solution

For anyone who hasn't found it yet, it is indeed found in the GoDaddy control panel. From your My Products page click Manage next to your domain to go to the Domain Settings page.  Once there, click Manage Hosting. Click Manage again (seriously!) which will take you to a page with lots of icons. Scroll down to the email section and click MX Entry.  The setting is there - select Remote Mail Exchanger, then click Change. You might also update the MX record at the bottom - ours didn't match the one on our DNS records page.

Of course it is, but it was sad that GoDaddy help could not help.

We are experiencing this same issue right now with two domains.  I have made the MX setting changes but so far this has not helped.  I think the setting changed help with one item, but now i am getting a message that states "An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available".  This has something to do with GoDaddy because i management multiple office 365 customers and only the ones that use GoDaddy for domain management have this issue.  

I just fixed one client using this procedure but still having issues with another domain.  I will keep you posted.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/outlook-pc-clear-the-windows-credential-manager-9197

New

This fixed my issue as well!  I just set up a couple new user accounts at my company a few weeks ago, all went fine.  Then everything started falling apart.  Shared email folders were inaccessible, and I couldn't create new Outlook profiles.  I haven't touched any settings in GoDaddy for 2 years, so not sure why this problem would have crept up now.  GoDaddy tech support should be well aware of this.  When I called, they told me all DNS settings were correct, but no one mentioned anything about this "local" and "remote" option.

Thank you for addressing this!

This doesn't fix everyone though.

There is still something very wrong at GoDaddy.

We have changed over to our (non GoDaddy) Office 365 MX Record.

We have changed to Remote Mail Exchanger.

We have followed every tip on this board.

Yet GoDaddy still cannot figure out why it's still broken.   It's definitely something on their system that hasn't taken.

It really depends on what the problem is. The solution above fixes the rogue autodiscover.xml file in our webspace that was preventing Outlook and other clients from setting up email profiles with our accounts at Office 365.  If you're able to send and receive mail via Office 365's webmail, then your MX records are correct.  If your email clients won't configure, try Microsoft's Outlook Autodiscover test at https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/ to see where the issue lies.

Great suggestion, however, I cancelled the email service through GoDaddy and cannot access that button. (The migration program really screwed up my desktop and all the accounts.)  The remnants of the issue caused by GoDaddy remained so here's what I did.  (Proceed with caution.)   Needless to say, without the email service I cannot undo what they did.   I have finally given in to the certificate issue popup and installed the certificate anyway.  I also went through the User Credentials and removed all email references.  Repaired Outlook, backed up my local files and then deleted all my email accounts.  Removed all the Registry entries, that I could, naming/referencing GoDaddy.  This has been a sad experience for me.  Now, however, Outlook opens in a flash and is working very well.  GoDaddy wants to sell but the products aren't all that easy to work with.

New

I was able to fix this issue with one radio button. I can't explain how someone without DNS access or the email feature in cpanel would be able to do this. GoDaddy support does not employ technical support staff as far as my experience goes. If you don't ask them a question there isn't a predetermined script for they will not be able to help you. The simple answer to disabling autodiscover from your godaddy site is this setting right here. Hopefully even those without access are able to talk the support person thru getting this setting changed.

mxentry.JPG

This worked like a charm! I just logged into my cPanel and went to the email section, selected the "Remote Server" option and hit save. Instantly my outlook 2016 worked.

New

Setting the MX entry to Remote instead of Local did not fix the issue for me. Is it because we have SSL turned on on our website? 

New

SSL shouldn't make any difference to DNS. Do an nslookup in the CMD line "nslookup autodiscover.YOURDOMAIN.com" and make sure the entry resolves to microsoft (for o365). After you disable email on cpanel you still have to create an autodiscover entry in DNS for it to resolve correctly.

Example:

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    autod.ms-acdc.office.com
Addresses:  2603:1036:804:a::8
          2603:1036:804:22::8
          2603:1036:804:1::8
          2603:1036:804:c::8
Aliases:  autodiscover.yourdomain.com
          autodiscover.outlook.com
          autod.ha.office365.com

New

my DNS settings were verified in Office 365 so no issues there

The issue is Outlook looks at the root domain first - i.e. https://domain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml

which points to a webpage hosted on cpanel on the backend  which indicates "

autodiscovery must be provided a valid email address 

Outlook attempts to contact topleveldomain.com/autodiscover.xml as it’s first port of call, before eventually getting to autodiscover.topleveldomain.com/autodiscover.xml. If it instead tried autodiscover.topleveldomain.com/autodiscover.xml first, the problem would disappear immediately.

New

The recommended fix is to log into cPanel and set the MX entry to “Remote” instead of “Local”. Unfortunately this did not fix the issue

It seems that it only affects HTTP, but not HTTPS requests?

New
Solution

I have resolved the issue by setting the MX Entry to Remote. It took at least 48 HOURS for changes to take effect

It worked and saved my day..Thank you !!!

New

We're using WordPress hosting only so we don't have access to cPanel and are experiencing this same issue. Has anyone else had this issue and been able to resolve it? It was a big piece of work to migrate over two of our WP sites to GD WP hosting and now tech's are telling me there's nothing they can do so I'm going to have to move my sites to new host just so I can configure Outlook again? 

Any ideas would be appreciated (other than client reg hacks).

Thanks!

Thank you so much!!! I found this after a few searches. My sysadmins kept blaming wordpress but I knew it was a GoDaddy setting or GoDaddy trying to "help" lol. Saved me from having to come in tomorrow on my day off! Thanks a million times

Same here still in mid 2019. Fought with MS support for days, same net effect, that I needed to apply registry hacks, and rebuild profiles on successively failing users all of the same pattern of failure. Insisting it was "outlook profile corruption" even on clean windows/office installs. Three MS cases later they had a meeting of the minds and sent this link, sure enough one of our domains had gotten somehow set to *automatic*. *Remote* sent it back to MS and fixed it almost instantly server side. Last appreciable thing we had done in godaddy prior to it happening and it was just a few days prior , was re key a cert for additional SAN's... Possibly something the automation of that process errors and flips this? Unknown, they have promised to investigate and report back if they can explain.

New

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Spent hours and hours trying to fix this for a client we just migrated to Office 365. Could not get Outlook setup no matter how hard we tried. Scoured the web for solutions. Went into their CPanel EMail Routing and as soon as I changed from "Local Mail Exchanger" to "Remote Mail Exchanger", BAM - Autodiscover works and Outlook is functioning. 

Makes no sense to me as DNS CNAME for autodiscover is set up...but thanks so much for the solution.