cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Some emails not being delivered

Hi, 

We've recently switched to GoDaddy hosting and domains from another provider. 

We've setup an email address for the main domain for one user via her personal Gmail account. She's been using this email for years via the previous host, but setup again for GoDaddy. 

All emails are coming in to the inbox and the majority of sent emails are received by the recipient, however there are emails not being received. Several recipients aren't receiving her emails at all and we've made sure to check all folders, spam etc. and they are definitely not being received.

We did a test - replied to an email address that sent an email (who wasn't receiving her emails) and that one came through.

Any ideas why this could be or what actions we could take to get to the bottom of it? 

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Some emails not being delivered

@mikechalmers 

Do you have an SPF record that perhaps is still referencing the old provider / IP address?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@PL281 Everything seems fine in DNS records, as far as I can tell? Let me know if it's a bad idea to post this here and I will delete!

Screenshot 2019-06-28 at 13.59.15.png

Super User III
Super User III

@mikechalmers 

A DNS zone is general fine to post as if you know the domain anyone can do a look up on it....

So confirm - You have something@lenaemery.com setup to forward to something@gmail.com and this is working fine.....

Your issue is that if you send something (via webmail or some other method??) from something@lenaemery.com they are not being received??

If you are just looking to forward - I suggest using the Free Email Forwarding that comes with the domain wcc.godaddy.com rather than using the cPanel relay

While the cPanel server does support email hosting on it, GoDaddy does have it configured to send through a relay which is to protect the server from being used as spam as well as the network at large.

Unfortunately because of this - occasionally because the mail is being relayed it gets blocked by some servers.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Hi PL281,

Really appreciate your help.

You've got the situation right - however we are utilising the email forwarding already (in addition to the email being set up via Control Panel). Could this be some of the issue and is there a way to rectify this without data loss?

Thanks

Super User III
Super User III

The MX records are set to just go through the cPanel Server. I’m trying to understand what you have or how you were doing outbound email as that is what I think we need to look at for the settings.

Okay so -

1. an email account was set up through cPanel
  2. email forwarding was turned on (through the Email Forwarding section of cPanel)
  3. Account was added to a Gmail account via Gmails settings - and using the setup details listed in the cPanel email accounts section - using the POP details

Tangentially, I believe a second account was added that is also being used in a similar way, but without email forwarding (step 2 above) and I think it's working fine (I'm not the user and don't have direct access to these Gmail accounts)

Please let me know if there's any further info I can provide

Super User III
Super User III

@mikechalmers 

1) Thanks for the additional information - so the cPanel is doing the forwarding vs the GoDaddy Workspace Email (different product etc)

2) What I'm trying to get at is.... So the email comes into the GMAIL account

They click reply - are they now sending out as GMAIL or as the DOMAIN

Also if they do a new email - are they sending out as GMAIL or as the DOMAIN

I think this maybe where the issue is - if people aren't receiving things 

Right, different product.

They are using the domain for replying to emails coming in to that address (@domain address)

[they also use the Gmail address for sending and replying to personal emails, using the account for both addresses]

When composing new email they use the domain address too (they use both, but in terms of this discussion, this is where the problem lies]

But as I say, some emails they compose are getting through fine, I believe all direct replies (using @domain) are going through fine - but some emails composed new are not (using @domain) - we've recreated this issue a couple of times

This setup may be slightly unorthodox but worked for them with the previous web host.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@mikechalmers 

1) If they log into webmail and send an email (reply or new) is it delivered

2) if they send from gmail (using the "send as") is it delivered

You may need to add something like this example as a TXT record to the domain - the IP would need to change to that of the server - This is just a thought - at this point I don't have any other explaination / ideas to try

v=spf1 ip4:172.16.254.1 include:_spf.google.com ~all

1) Yes, I have been able to check this and it worked fine.

2) I believe this is how they are composing new emails so no (but again, not certain of Gmail practices)

Thanks for the info - will give this a try when I have access (later in the week). If you've got any other thoughts let me know, I appreciate the help!