cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Problems sending email from Gmail account using GoDaddy email as alias

I've got a GoDaddy domain, ironringforge.com, and have two email forwarding addresses in that account. They both forward to my Gmail account, and that works fine.

I use Gmail to send emails out using their "Send mail as:" to have one of those GoDaddy ironringforge.com addresses as the "From:" address. I'm sending through smtpout@secureserver.net on port 465, using SSL.

Lately, I have been having problems trying to send emails out through ironringforge.com. It isn't 100% of the time, but today it's been more like 90%. What happens is that soon after I try sending the email out I get a bounce-back from Gmail saying,

Message not delivered
You're sending this from a different address or alias using the 'Send mail as' feature. The settings for your 'Send mail as' account are misconfigured or out of date. Check those settings and try resending.

and:

The response from the remote server was:

535 Authentication Failed for root@ironringforge.com

I don't know how the settings are misconfigured, since it works part of the time. And up to about two months ago it was working 100% of the time gradually degrading to what it is today.

I chatted with GoDaddy Support online, but they only said to contact the Gmail admin. I don't know if such a person is even accessible. So maybe you smart guys in this group have thoughts on what to try?

Thanks.

--Marc

15 REPLIES 15
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Problems sending email from Gmail account using GoDaddy email as alias

Hi @Ironman58. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! If you have an active Workspace Email account, this should work. It shouldn't work if you're only sending from a forwarding address. You would have to have a functioning email address and not just a forward if this worked previously. I'm guessing that's what your root@ address is.

There was an issue yesterday where people were unable to utilize the "send as" feature in Gmail in conjunction with a Workspace Email account. That has been addressed so hopefully you're not seeing that message anymore. Sorry for any confusion. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks, @JesseW. The problem does seem to be cleared up today. I haven't had a single bounce-back after probably 10 - 20 emails sent out. And all seem to have been delivered.

Could this have been a problem for a while, but just reached an extreme yesterday? I've been having this same problem intermittently, going back to the beginning of February. Maybe 10% - 20% of the time I got failures, and it always worked fine when I re-sent the failed email. Yesterday was pretty bad, where I just couldn't trust the Send-as: at all.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Ironman58 Maybe. If it starts to crop up again, feel free to follow up and we can take a look to see if it's related. I would guess that occasional failures could still happen though they shouldn't be frequent. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW , thanks.

It looks like the problem has returned. I've only tried sending a half dozen emails, but four of them have bounced back. I'll describe my setup to see if it's something I'm doing...

I've got one GoDaddy Workspace email: root@ironringforge.com

Two email forwarding addresses: takeahike@ironringforge.com and marc@ironringforge.com

Forwarding is working fine. Sending is spotty.

I want to send email from my Gmail account, but have a From address of either takeahike@ironringforge.com or marc@ironringforge.com. To do that, I have Gmail's "Send mail as:" set to send through smtpout.secureserver.net, using a secured connection on port 465 using SSL. The login for smtpout is my root@ironringforge.com. And last - I have Gmail set the "Send as" addresses to "Treat as an alias."

Is there anything in there that might cause problems?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Ironman58. As far as I know, that setup should work as long as you have identities set up for both addresses under the root@ address. Do the bouncebacks say the same thing that they did before? I haven't seen any other recent reports of this. 

Hi, @JesseW . Yes, the errors are the exact same as before. I'm not sure about identities, though. GoDaddy Help seems to be broken right now. I'm getting the following on every Help or Support link on the site.

This page isn’t working

If the problem continues, contact the site owner.

HTTP ERROR 400

The following is a screen snap of my Workspace Control Center that seems to show my "takeahike" and "marc" accounts in the Free Email Forwarding section. I'll try the help again later today to see about identities.

Workspace Control.JPG

Hi, @JesseW . It looks like I didn't have any identities in my root account, other than a bunch (6) of root@ironringforge.com in there. I just added marc and takeahike, but no joy. I got one bounceback out of two emails sent.

I spoke with support at Godaddy, Apparently they are phasing out webmail for a beter, but more expensive product.  Webmail is having issues with GMAIL new updates for authentication.  GMAIL is kicking back emails from GODADDY webmail since it doesn't meet authentication requirements. 

Hello,

We have been experiencing the same issue. Multiple phone calls with Godaddy support today but no resolution, unfortunately.

New

Started having the same problem described here with my domain today.  On a Gmail setup that hasn't changed in over 5 years!  GoDaddy support was clueless about my authentication errors through Gmail.

BTW - It seems like even though I get the bounce back message from Google, the message goes through anyway, at least some times or maybe always. 

Like others, I was using SSL and port 465.  I found, however, that switching to TLS and port 25 has resolved the issue, at least for now!  Google says SSL is recommended, but isn't TLS supposed to be newer and better?

For sure, it seems like Google or GoDaddy has an SSL certificate issue causing this.  Hope they fix it soon!

We are experiencing the same issue.  Please keep us posted on any resolutions.

this fix seemed to work for us to.......

Like others, I was using SSL and port 465.  I found, however, that switching to TLS and port 25 has resolved the issue, at least for now!  Google says SSL is recommended, but isn't TLS supposed to be newer and better?

So far today I've sent about 6 emails with no problems. I haven't changed any settings, either. However, if I start getting problems again, I'll see if that helps.

The problem with intermittent issues is you don't know for sure if you've fixed something. Going to TSL and Port 25 might seem to work, or maybe GoDaddy and Gmail felt like working together.

Another six sent out today with no errors.