cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Office 365: How exactly do the file storage limits work?

I know there is 50 GB per user allotted for email, contacts and calendars, and there is 1 TB "online storage" per user.  I also heard something about 10 GB per user for SharePoint.

What about shared libraries?  Not shared folders, but the shared libraries that are linked to SharePoint sites but show up in OneDrive under the "Shared Libraries".  Does that come out of one user's 1 TB?  If so, which, and what happens when that user's account is deactivated?

I see the Microsoft website says the total SharePoint storage per organization under Business Premium is "1 TB plus 10 GB per license purchased".  Is that on top of the 1 TB OneDrive storage per person or what?

Additionally, is there any way to view how close we are to the file storage limits organization wide?  I've only found ways to view the email storage organization wide, but OneDrive and SharePoint storage use needs to be viewed from the user's own account (for OneDrive) or on the individual site (for SharePoint).

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Manager

Hi @AL20

So, is the 1 TB/organization + 10 GB/user limit for SharePoint only, i.e. not including the 50 GB/user email limit and not including the 1 TB/user OneDrive limit?

Yes, these three storage quotas are separate.

Do "Shared Libraries" only come out of the 1TB+10GB limit and not from the 1TB/user OneDrive limit?

Yes, Shared Libraries are considered a SharePoint site. Documents stored in a user's OneDrive and shared to other users are not a "library".

Also, what happens to a SharePoint site and shared library if the account of the user that created it is deleted but the organization's account still exists?

When a user is deleted any SharePoint sites they have created will remain. A global admin can reassign ownership if needed. Only a user's OneDrive documents would be deleted when that user is deleted.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager

Hi @AL20. Thanks for posting. For all of our plans that include SharePoint, total storage for the organization is limited to a formula (1 TB base storage + 10 GB storage per user licensed for SharePoint). Max storage per site is 25 TB. This includes shared document libraries, O365 Groups file storage, and a team's file storage on Teams. You can find more detailed information in Microsoft's documentation: SharePoint limits - Service Descriptions | Microsoft Docs. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thank you.  So, is the 1 TB/organization + 10 GB/user limit for SharePoint only, i.e. not including the 50 GB/user email limit and not including the 1 TB/user OneDrive limit?  Do "Shared Libraries" only come out of the 1TB+10GB limit and not from the 1TB/user OneDrive limit?

Also, what happens to a SharePoint site and shared library if the account of the user that created it is deleted but the organization's account still exists?

Community Manager

Hi @AL20

So, is the 1 TB/organization + 10 GB/user limit for SharePoint only, i.e. not including the 50 GB/user email limit and not including the 1 TB/user OneDrive limit?

Yes, these three storage quotas are separate.

Do "Shared Libraries" only come out of the 1TB+10GB limit and not from the 1TB/user OneDrive limit?

Yes, Shared Libraries are considered a SharePoint site. Documents stored in a user's OneDrive and shared to other users are not a "library".

When a user is deleted any SharePoint sites they have created will remain. A global admin can reassign ownership if needed. Only a user's OneDrive documents would be deleted when that user is deleted.

View solution in original post