cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Email Forwards and Catch-All accounts

Am I able to use an Email Forward as a Catch-All account, or do I need a separate email address? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Generally speaking you should sign an actual address as your catchall account @MatthewMatthew. If you sign an actually email address to this role it may prevent you from creating so many forwards.

Let's say Bill does your invoicing, how email address is bill@anytowncoffee.com but you want him to also get mail from other billing email addresses. So you create invoice@anytowncoffee.com and billing@anytowncoffee.com as forwards to Bill's specific email address. With no assigned catchall someone sending a inquiry to invoices@anytowncoffee.com (plural) will go to the land of lost emails.

I generally advise the creation of a base email address like info@anytowncoffee.com and make that the catchall. Creating specific forwards is fine but you'll get stuck creating a lot with no end in sight? Additionally you can't reply using forwarding addresses so though our friend Bill will get emails from the forward he'd be responding with his personal address. Having an actual generic address you can reply from is greatly helpful.

Maybe that was more than you asked but I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Generally speaking you should sign an actual address as your catchall account @MatthewMatthew. If you sign an actually email address to this role it may prevent you from creating so many forwards.

Let's say Bill does your invoicing, how email address is bill@anytowncoffee.com but you want him to also get mail from other billing email addresses. So you create invoice@anytowncoffee.com and billing@anytowncoffee.com as forwards to Bill's specific email address. With no assigned catchall someone sending a inquiry to invoices@anytowncoffee.com (plural) will go to the land of lost emails.

I generally advise the creation of a base email address like info@anytowncoffee.com and make that the catchall. Creating specific forwards is fine but you'll get stuck creating a lot with no end in sight? Additionally you can't reply using forwarding addresses so though our friend Bill will get emails from the forward he'd be responding with his personal address. Having an actual generic address you can reply from is greatly helpful.

Maybe that was more than you asked but I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post