cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

subdomain forwarding is adding extra random characters to the URL?

So I have a subdomain set up on my domain, so that subdomain.domain.com points to www.website.com (obviously not my real URLs).

However, for some reason, sometimes when I type in subdomain.domain.com in my web browser, it will forward to www.website.com but then add 5 random extra characters to it.  For example, sometimes it'll go to, say, www.website.com/WFOIJ/, and so it'll display a 'page not found' error.  The extra characters are never the same, and seem to be made up of completely random letters.

It doesn't happen every time, so I'm not even sure how to troubleshoot this.  Anyone here have any similar problems? 

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted

Re: subdomain forwarding is adding extra random characters to the URL?

I am also experiencing this behavior.

I don't have a solution, I'm replying to bump it up, and to get on the email list for replies

Highlighted

Me too me too BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!

Highlighted
New

I am having the same issue.  One of our forwarding directs to my wife's online store so every time this occurs, she potentially loses a sale.

Highlighted
New

This has been happening for 2 WEEKS! I'm so frustrated, and so glad to know that I'm not alone. It's seriously screwing up so many aspects of my business and systems. 

I've spent a total of at least 6 hours on the phone with support and NOTHING is being done. I'm seriously ready to pull my hair out. 

I'm going to be moving my domains to another company, as soon as I have another 6 hours free to make that happen. 

I can't believe this hasn't been fixed. And that I've not received follow up from support. 

I've always stood up for Godaddy because the support has been fantastic. Breaks my heart to have to give Godaddy a big THUMBS DOWN. After this. 

Seriously - Godaddy, fix the problem, or let us know we need to move our domains. 

@MarkInCA have any solutions on your end... I'd love to know. : ) 

Highlighted

It's still happening to me as of 9/11/2017, but I haven't spoken to tech support about it yet.  Hopefully one of you guys can get a resolution/solution to your problem and let us all know.  It is very annoying.

Highlighted
New

We were having the same issue at work. Fortunately, I finally found a GoDaddy rep who knew how to fix the issue. You'll need to change one of two settings (or both) to fix the problem. First, if you're redirecting to a secure site, you'll need to select "https://" from the drop-down. Second, if you're not forwarding to a subdomain (e.g. blog.yourwebsite.com or store.website.com) then you must put "www." at the beginning of your URL for the forwarding to work consistently. So, yourwebsite.com will not forward consistently, but www.yourwebsite.com will. Hope this helps.

godaddy-redirect-fix.jpg

Highlighted
New

@ezIQChad @ohbensesame @TT97 @MollyM - hopefully this fix works for all of you too. It resolved the issue with extra characters for us.
Highlighted

Thank you kindly for tagging me and alerting me to a possible solution - That is very kind of you!!

Unfortunately I already have https:// selected and forward to a subdomain (//www., //secure., and //login.)

I am forwarding from the naked domain to a subdomain on the same domain (in the majority of cases)

Thanks again and ThinkEZ

Highlighted
New

I'm experiencing the same thing. Has a solution been discovered?

Highlighted
New

I am having the same issue.  I just got off the phone with tech support (spoke with Kevin) and he said the problem is with the hosting service I am forwarding to.  BS.

Highlighted
New

@rickd2

I can not believe that they don't have a company wide response to this! It's CLEARLY a godaddy issue. I have that in writing. This is seriously screwing up the automation have in place in my biz that has taken hours to put into place, as I'm sure it is yours. 

I've started transferring all of my domains, and basically Godaddy said they don't care about keeping my business. There's nothing they can do to besides trying to fix it, which they have been trying to do for 2 weeks. 

When they said there was nothing they could do and understood if I needed to switch companies... my jaw honestly hit the floor. 

Oy. So many years as a happy customer... all gone. Such a bummer. I hope you get it fixed! 

Highlighted

We are experiencing this issue as well, which is causing major issues as we use subdomain forwards everywhere.  Support doesn't seem to care.  I too have been a customer for many many years.  This is just silly.

Highlighted

It's been a month that this issue is there. Still no fix from Goddady 😞 

Highlighted

I am experiencing the same problem under 1000s of sites. I have all the sites set to forward to www.domain.com (for consistency in indexing and so I can point using the CNAME rather than IP address).

Adding the forwarding with "www." will not help as this is already setup.

Highlighted
New

I've been seeing the same thing here for over two months. Someone in this thread stated that GoDaddy has acknowledged this is "their" issue. Do you have any correspondence indicating that from GoDaddy? I'd like to move this up the flag pole as an extremely urgent matter, but it would help to have some additional info.

Highlighted

GoDaddy's protestations to the contrary, it really is their problem. Myriad people with different hosts are experiencing this anomaly. Although not a permanent fix, this workaround should work for folks using forwarding with masking. Along with adding the "www" to the domain name, inserting a "?" after the URL (www.website.com/?) will cause the web page to display as expected.

The letters added by GoDaddy are a "query string" (Google it for more info). In this case, domain forwarding, adding the ? causes the server to ignore what follows the ? and you'll actually see the desired web page. For example, www.website.com/? may return www.website.com/?WFOIJ in the browser location bar, but the actual web page will be displayed instead of the dreaded 404 Not Found. You can test this by entering "bing.com/?12345" into your browser. The URL will show "http://www.bing.com/?12345" but only the index page for Bing will display. This is just a workaround and GoDaddy definitely needs to get this fixed.

Highlighted

This is still happening.  I'm on the phone with tech support and their position is that if it works once for them, then there is no problem.

Highlighted

Happening to me as well, but only on my Android phone and with Chrome. My other browser doesn't show it. No browser on my iPad does it. 

I talked with GoDaddy tech support. I usually have EXCELLENT service with tech support. This guy, however, was a tool! He looked up my site on his iPhone, didn't see the issue, and basically said he can't help me since he can't see the problem then went totally silent!!!

Can somebody at GoDaddy please take care of this?!?!?!?!?

Highlighted

I gave up trying to get GoDaddy to fix this.  It's obviously some side effect of sloppy programming on their part, but since it's intermittent, they don't care about it.

Since the redirects I care about are sent to servers I manage, I have adjusted the software on those servers to show the home page when this garbage is tacked on the end of the URL.

Highlighted

Im no IT guru buuuut in my circumstance this was a plugin related problem in my wordpress website. My website was - "www.example.com.au/?v39821j"

After a bit of research I have found the problem and my website is now "www.example.com.au"

It was woocommerce, it has a setting "geolocalize users with cache support" which adds this parameter to every single url and link. I noticed that the hash appended was the same in every browser on my computer, so I realized it wasn't a "session" hash, but an IP address hash.

To find this setting go to woocommerce addon ->Settings->General->Default Customer Location", pick the third option, which is IP without cache. Or any but the one that CACHE'S.

Highlighted

Are we unwanted GoDaddy customers? Have some of your old accounts been pushed from GoDaddy -to- Domains Priced Right? I'm connecting the two issues together and see this problem (random characters following the domain name or URL) as a cleansing initiative. - Every customer should receive an email acknowledgement to fix the problem. - If Danica Patrick had this problem on her race-car, GoDaddy would've already had it fixed.