cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

What happens if I don't Renew the domain?

I have a domain shop that is currently inactive, the domain is valid for another month, what if I don't Renew it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User IV

@Aradx 

There is a 30-45 day grace period after it expires during which you will receive a number of reminders that you can still renew the domain - eventually this will say that there is an additional fee to renew it.

Finally it will tell you when it will be the final notice at which point the domain will be released to be purchased again. It may get auto picked up by a domain buying service that purchases expired domains in an attempt to resell them. Sometimes they just expire and are then out there to be renewed as if it was never purchased to start with.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Hi @Aradx,

Welcome to the Community!

You only keep the registration on a domain for as long as it's paid for in the account. You can check out this article for all of the steps a domain will take after it expires. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

2 REPLIES 2
Super User IV

@Aradx 

There is a 30-45 day grace period after it expires during which you will receive a number of reminders that you can still renew the domain - eventually this will say that there is an additional fee to renew it.

Finally it will tell you when it will be the final notice at which point the domain will be released to be purchased again. It may get auto picked up by a domain buying service that purchases expired domains in an attempt to resell them. Sometimes they just expire and are then out there to be renewed as if it was never purchased to start with.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hi @Aradx,

Welcome to the Community!

You only keep the registration on a domain for as long as it's paid for in the account. You can check out this article for all of the steps a domain will take after it expires. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support