cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Website in IIS and bought Domain - What Next

Hi All,

I have been at this since last couple of weeks. After tiring efforts leading to nowhere, I am posting here.

I have a Website built and hosted in IIS locally. I just bought domain name from GoDaddy. I have my computer's public IP where the website in IIS is present. What are my next steps so that I can keep my computer as server and link with domain name? So that website is accessible publicly through domain name.

I am a novice website builder and have very limited knowledge about this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Super User IV

@AP2020 

1) You need to make sure your network is open to accepting traffic - this would be in your modem / router settings - typically called port forwarding. Some networks require you to put the machine (IP) into the DMZ which means all ports / traffic will be open to that machine - in both cases make sure you have additional security on your network as it can open up the potential for someone to get access to other things on your network

2) While you should be able to just point the IP to your public IP, I recommend and have used in the past a server called No-IP, it's a "relay" of sorts. You install a little utility on your computer and that way if / when your public IP address changes, it automatically updates in No-IP

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

This is a great help. Thank you very much. I will try out and mark as solution if success.