cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Unexpected error for zone file upload

We keep on getting Unexpected errors in uploading the DNS zone file for our domain. The same file was uploaded fine from Godaddy support, and they said they are using windows7 machine. However, we tried the upload function on multiple Windows10 and Mac servers with different browsers, chrome, IE, firefox, and they are all failed. 

Can anyone help to confirm if the zone file upload function actually work in windows 10 or Mac server? I hope this is not only working in Windows7 machine.

31 REPLIES 31

Re: Unexpected error for zone file upload

Hi @Quantifeed, thanks for posting.

I haven't seen any issues like this.

It might be related to the actual zone file itself. Do you also see this error when you try to upload a different zone file or a zone file for another domain?
^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply. However, it's still failed even when I tried to upload the exact same file that I got from the "Export Zone File" function. 

Also, I tried to upload a zone file with only 1 line and it still fails:

test1 3600 IN CNAME www.test.com.

The error code returned is 422 with the response body:

{"code":"MissingArgument","message":"Expired or invalid\r\nParameter name: X-XSRF-TOKEN","detail":null,"fields":[]}

Here is the

Request header:
Request URL: https://dcc.godaddy.com/api/v2/domains/xxx.yyy.com/zonefileformdata
Request Method: POST
Status Code: 422 / Unprocessable Entity

Request payload:

-----------------------------7e12401f2a16cc
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="xxx.com.txt"; filename="xxx.comx.txt"
Content-Type: text/plain

test1 3600 IN CNAME www.test.com.
-----------------------------7e12401f2a16cc--

Response body:

{"code":"MissingArgument","message":"Expired or invalid\r\nParameter name: X-XSRF-TOKEN","detail":null,"fields":[]}

thanks,

We tried with different versions of Firefox (i.e. 54.0.1., 52.0.1, 51.0.1) and they are all failed with just uploading ta testing zone file with 1 entry (example in previous post). The same zone file is uploading without problem by GoDaddy support so it's pretty sure the file content is ok. However, we are failed to do it from our end with different browsers, different machines (i.e. Mac and Windows10) and different network providers.

Appreciate any help on this as this is very annoying if we need to call the GoDaddy support to upload the file.

We get exactly the same issue. Tried multiple Geographic locations (Dublin, UK and Amserdam) Chrome, Edge and FF.

If we send the file to a godaddy tech they are able to upload without issue.

Did you manage to find a resolution? I've been quite frustrated with phone support blaming internet interference.

Unfortunately there is no answer for that. I have contacted the support many times, but they said there isn't much for them to follow up as they can't replicate the problem from their side.

It's good to know that we are not the only one experiencing the same problem. Really hope someone from GoDaddy team can follow up on this.

Same issue here..  the GUI will not allow me to import a simple zone file.. I stripped it down to a simple one line A record import and no-go.   Can GoDaddy confirm this 'Advanced' tool is even working (as someone posted that it is not working in another thread)?   I have 24 zones and multiple records to update and done manually through the GUI is going to take forever...

New

We are experiencing the same issues described by OP. Tested different computers, browsers, etc. GoDaddy Support had no problems uploading the UNIX version exported from GoDaddy, but we are unable to import the file even when attempting to do so with the file just downloaded from the GoDaddy export. I have reduced the file to a single line (1 record) and get the same error (extremely generic, unhelpful in diagnosing issue):Capture.PNG

I was looking forward to not having to do 12+ domains with multiple records by hand, but I guess that's my only choice. This is very disappointing and if I had known this wasn't going to work, I would have chosen another DNS provider.

I'm having the same issue.

Tried changing the file formats (UTF-8, Unicode, ANSI) and line endings (Windows/Unix). Even tried re-uploading the Export file I downloaded a minute earlier (both Unix and Windows formats). Just same old "An unexpected error occurred. If this issue continues, contact support."
I'm trying to do this to a domain I have been Delegated Access too. Could that be the issue vs a domain in my own account?

Sadly, I abandoned all hope of GoDaddy helping or fixing this issue with the zone file import; and to think I switched my domains over to GoDaddy in part due to their support.   I did solve my issue however using their domain zone templating tools.  My issue was that our co-lo forced us to change our public facing IP's from one series of numbers to another and it would be done all at once; meaning for me, changing 300+ A and SPF records in a matter of minutes.  If done via the GUI, it would take hours and that is too much unacceptable down time.  Using the templating tools, I was able to snapshot the current zones we manage (~24), make my edits for what the future IP's will be to those templates (took a few hours, but at least our sites were up), and then, at the time of the transition, apply the saved templates to my impacted zones which only took minutes and not hours.   Ideally, I would have preferred to dump my zone data to files, edit the files en masse using simple search and replace tools, and re-import the zones at the appropriate time.  It would have been so much easier.  I hope this tip about using the template tools helps others in a similar predicament. 

Same bug for me.
The support team upload the file and it worked. (after 20 minutes of discussions... Not really effective)

New

I'm not sure why my post was marked as the solution or why this is marked as solved. Does the upload work now? What was causing the issue?

At least on my end, the problem is in no way solved. The fact that we are forced to edit zone files directly, and cannot upload the resulting file, and that the GoDaddy GUI was stripped of the ability to bulk edit/delete records means that the service is really not suitable anymore for any but the simplest cases. I have no idea what they are thinking, unless the high-cost DNS package restores the functionality, and these changes are to drive up revenue. In any case, we are outta here.

New

Looks like they protect site with CSRF/XSRF, and something go wrong ;( 
Import is not work
Support can not help

New

Any News From Support?

New

I'm having the same issue uploading their own exported zone file back in. Support was a huge letdown for this one. They advised they cannot help and the only option is to manually enter all of the entries back in. This is not acceptable for a company that requires consistent uptime for production environments. Even worse, you can't add any new DNS entries until your name servers are pointing to GoDaddy's which means there is no way this can be done without downtime. 

New

Did this ever get resolved?

If i export the zone file and then import it... it fails just like all of the other customers. I have about 200 domains i'm moving from Rackspace's DNS and its unacceptable.

How do we troubleshoot when your exported file will not import?

New

Unfortunately not. The only option we had after multiple calls with their support was to manually enter everything into DNS templates and then cut them over. Completely unacceptable. For us, we only had about 100 entries to create but they wouldn't budge on helping at all or even admitting that it's an issue on their end. Good luck

New

Not sure why this post is marked resolved, when there's no explanation detailing said resolution.

I'm also unable to get a zone file to upload successfully, and would love to see GoDaddy address the issue.  At the very least, at least acknowledge it's broken and remove the feature as an option.

The only reason I even want this feature to work is because checking the "Keep the current nameservers for this domain(s)" box during an account change, also resulted in not following through on stated functionality.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Quantifeed@obiweb@gCloud@ckcjam@Herbst@Rmmteam@Rocky_Squirrel@PCGIT@myitguy@Sylvain@daharon01. Thanks for sharing about this issue. Sorry it's taken so long to get you a response Man Embarassed I was able to review this with our advanced support team and it turns out that this is an issue that our developers are aware of. I made sure to share the link to this thread in the ticket where this is being worked. I'll try to update this thread if there is a resolution. Until then, you should be able to either manually update records or get in touch with our support team for assistance. Sorry for the trouble everyone! 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

After several attempts and after not having a satisfy response from the support, we wrote a script using the Godaddy API (from the equivalent of curl in PowerShell).

New

Does anyone know if GoDaddy support will assist with uploading text files containing DNS records on their end?  I want to move off of my Linux servers and need to import in bulk.  Several of my zones have 50+ records.

Thanks.

New

Just tried this morning to import a zone file and it still isn't working.  Zone file is in the correct format and even compared it to a downloaded version of the default zone they create when you switch to the default (GoDaddy) nameservers.  No joy.  Called support and after the support guy reached back to advanced support on the back-end, they confirmed that the issue is still unresolved with no workaround or estimated time to repair.  To clarify, I asked them about loading the file from their side on the back-end as suggested earlier in this article and he said that didn't work either.  The only way to update GoDaddy-hosted DNS records right now is manually via the GUI or writing your own script to use the API (as suggested above).

New

I can't believe this bug is over a year old and hasn't been resolved. That shows a complete disregard for customer satisfaction. I just exported my zone file earlier for a single site in case I hosed the settings. Well, I hosed the settings and decided to import the exported file. It won't import. I get the exact same error as everyone else posting here. Why is this even listed as a feature if it doesn't work? 

Hey folks, this is still very much an issue. 

I was migrating a domain from network solutions to GoDaddy and that particular domain had over 300 CNAME records.  As we all know, the import zone file doesn't work on the customer end.  Last week I called into support in preparation for this domain migration and the support rep attempted to help me get it working on my end.  We tried multiple browsers, multiple PCs, different domains, etc.  Nothing worked...until he tried it on his end.  And as anyone who has read this thread knows, it works for the support reps. 

So today I called in to have the 300 or so CNAME records imported into the domain that just finished migrating from NetSol and was told by the support rep, that there isn't any reason why this shouldn't work for me.  I had her back to the previous ticket and read the notes.  She then reached out to their "advanced team" and they came back and said there is no known issue.  Um ok, so please let me speak with a supervisor I said.  I spoke with the supervisor Mike [removed] who confirmed there is no known issue, it must be something I'm doing wrong because it works for him.  No kidding!?!?  Mike said GoDaddy prides themselves on customer service in one breath, and refuses to help me in the next.  I asked for his manager and he provided the name Matt [removed].  At this point I had been on the phone for close to an hour.

I hung up with Mike and called back in and the next support rep listened to my story, provided his email address to me, I sent him the text file, and he uploaded it for me.  All done in less than 5 minutes.  Problem solved!  A huge thank you to Brian, who knows what customer service means!

Lessons learned: 1) Some people at GoDaddy pride themselves on customer service, not all. 2) If you don't find resolution with one support person, hang up and call back.

Hey JesseW, please read my post to this thread and let all your support teams know this is still an issue.  Thx.

I think the lesson is that GoDaddy has a firm commitment to driving customers to other domain providers. The only reason I am still here is because my company paid for three years of hosting. I deliver negative reviews and steer business away from GD every chance I get, all because of this one ridiculous issue and GDs years of not solving it and insulting customers along the way.
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

EDIT: The initial issue mentioned in this thread has been resolved. Zone files can now be uploaded from computers outside of our network. 

@krafttechgroup - Thanks for following up. I can confirm that this is still an issue. Essentially uploading zone files will not work unless it's done from a computer within our network. I double checked this and duplicated it with our advanced team. We'll make sure there is follow up with the agents/supervisor you spoke with so everyone is on the same page.

However, one additional thing to note is that even when uploaded from our side, if there is a conflict in one of the records (like being improperly formatted or duplicated), the upload may still fail. Within exported zone files in our system, you will see this notice:

; Please note that we do NOT offer technical support for any use
; of this zone data, the BIND name server, or any other third-
; party DNS software.
;
; Use at your own risk.

As indicated, support agents won't be able to troubleshoot a zone file in this format. If you provide a zone file to upload and it produces an error, support will not be able to help you identify what is wrong within it. Hope that helps clarify the issue. Again, sorry for any frustration. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW - Thank you for acknowledging the issue still exists and that you will attempt to make sure everyone on all the domain support and advance teams know that is the case.  And yes I can confirm if there is a conflict in one of the records (meaning the records already exist), the import will not work even for the support team.  In my situation, I exported the zone file from the domain, stripped everything out except the new CNAME records I wanted to add and Brian in support imported the file without any issue.

New

So what is the magic word to get Support to recognize this issue. They refuse to help / upload a file for me!

New

can someone pls post a working zone file? having exact same issue and run around from godaddy support

I did send them zone file and one of the tech was nice enough to upload but then says that the upload will take 48 hours to complete,,,,, how is this correct? 

Helper I

@JesseW 2 years on, this is still an issue, and the GoDaddy chat teams are still not aware of it, insisting that propagation after import will make the records appear.

It doesn't. I wish I'd noticed this topic before I spent hours and hours (and 96 hours of subdomain and email downtime) trying to persuade the chat teams that there IS an issue, and they should take it to the internal support for resolution.

Pease see https://uk.godaddy.com/community/Managing-Domains/REQUEST-Please-fix-your-DNS-Import-File-feature-in...

It would be great if it was fixed, it's a differentiating feature for choosing Godaddy over other registrars. But it doesn't work.