cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Reverse DNS (PTR Record)

Hello,

First, sorry for my bad english

Because, my subdomain pointing to another ISP provider, i understood that revers dns should be done by the IP owner. The Ip owner, ask me to tell him "the PTR registration."  From what i read, PTR registration is "sudomain.domain.com".  So, after i send this information to the IP owner, he should give me some information to do a TXT record? I must have this kind of dns record?

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Reverse DNS (PTR Record)

Hi @micutu82. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! PTR records are a bit different than other DNS records. Most of the time you think of DNS records being associated with a domain name. However, PTR records are something set up by the network provider of the IP address itself. PTR records are stored in a different zone file then your domain DNS records are. You would not need to create a DNS record for your domain to make a PTR record work. Everything should be done on the provider's end. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thank you for your replay, i hope i got it 😄

Hello, i got the answer from my internet provider.  They gave me 2 name servere for my reverse ip. What should i do with that?  i should use their ns instead of goddady? ns5.isp.ro and ns6.isp.ro

From intodns.com i still got this error:

Reverse MX A records (PTR)ERROR: No reverse DNS (PTR) entries. The problem MX records are:
xx.xx.xx.xx.in-addr.arpa -> no reverse (PTR) detected
You should contact your ISP and ask him to add a PTR record for your ips

Thank you

Community Manager
Community Manager

@micutu82 To be honest, PTR records are outside of my expertise. I'm not sure if you'd need to use your provider's nameservers in order to have them, though I don't think you do. However, I do know that if you use their nameservers, you'd need to manage all your DNS via their services. Either way, you'll need to continue working with the provider in question. Sorry Man Sad

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thank you for your answer. Probably I will send them a few questions 😄

I solved the problem, it was from my ISP. Now, everything it is almost ok. Now, i am using godaddy name server. How do i do a glue record?

:INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers for your NS records.This is ok but you should know that in this case an extra A record lookup is required in order to get the IPs of your NS records. The nameservers without glue are:
You can fix this for example by adding A records to your nameservers for the zones listed above. :

Community Manager
Community Manager

@micutu82 Glad you got it working. I believe a glue record is related to registering a hostname. For insatnce, if you wanted to use ns1.domain.com as a nameserver, you'd need to register ns1 as a hostname. This article explains how to do that. 

I read that so, if i am using godaddy ns, at hostname i will use ns01? from ns01.domaincontrol.com

I have tried that but i have the same error

Community Manager
Community Manager

@micutu82. No. You'd only register hosts if you plan on using your own domain to serve DNS information. If you are getting this error about one of our nameservers, then I'd suggest bringing the issue to our customer care team so our advanced support can be notified. Occasionally something needs to be updated on the backend. It usually won't hamper how your DNS works though. 

I think it is something at my dns records 🙂 i have to read more to find the solution 🙂