cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
Helper I

[REQUEST] Please fix your DNS Import File feature in DNS Management

One of the unique features at GoDaddy is the capability in DNS Management portal to Import DNS Zone files.

This is brilliant if people want to transfer their domain and DNS management to GoDaddy, since it means that transfers do not involve having to manually retype all their records.

It seems to be a feature that most of direct GoDaddy competitors don't offer, a unique value proposition.

Except it doesn't work. I have tried 5 times now, and been on with GoDaddy techies on Chat for HOURS trying to get it to work.

I'm afraid they don't understand how it works either. They tell me it has worked, (they've even asked me to email my import files, so they can do it themselves) and to wait 24-48 hours.

But the records that the portal says have been successfully imported, never appear in the portal, and never get propagated.

I'd really like this investigated by your internal support teams. Your customer facing team just keep asking me to 'keep trying', which is extremely frustrating.

8 REPLIES 8
Helper I

Re: [REQUEST] Please fix your DNS Import File feature in DNS Management

Note: This is the third pinned topic on the forum where you have moved my request. It was first reported in March 2017.

https://uk.godaddy.com/community/Managing-Domains/Unexpected-error-for-zone-file-upload/td-p/53849

Perhaps if it has been broken for over 2 years and still not fixed, you should just withdraw it from the portal?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @DRY411S. Thanks for posting. First, sorry you're experiencing trouble. I can understand how this would be frustrating for you. There is still a problem with the customer-facing part of the import tool. I will try to find out more about plans to address this. If I have more information, I'll post it in the other thread. 

As for issues with support importing your zone file, there shouldn't be any problems with that. However, while our care team can attempt to import a zone file, it won't work if that file isn't properly formatted. My guess would be that is what you're running into. That's the only thing I'm aware of that could cause what you're seeing when our care team tries to import your file. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Helper I

Thanks for listening @JesseW 

I'd suggest, if there is no outcome for when this will be fixed, given that it's been broken for 2 years, that the feature should be hidden from the portal and not referenced in the help pages, until it is fixed.

Regarding the care team importing a zone file supplied by me, I got the impression that they were just using the same portal tool as me. They certainly reported that it was a 'success' and that the records would propagate.

They didn't. Smiley Sad

Community Manager
Community Manager

@DRY411S Actually, testing this myself and with one of our internal teams, it seems the initial issue mentioned in the previous thread has been fixed. That issue was specific to an error for any uploads outside of our network. I was able to successfully upload/update a zone file with an import using a non-GoDaddy network just a few minutes ago. This is the success message I got. 

zone import success.png

Please keep in mind that when importing a zone file on the Manage DNS page for a domain, it only works in specific ways. First, the file must be configured properly (as I mentioned before). We accept this in two formats (Linux and Windows). If you'd like to examine the formats, please export the zone file for a domain that you currently have. 

Second, importing a zone file will only ADD records. It will not remove or replace extant records. For example, if you have an A record for "blog" and you create another entry in your zone import for the same record, the end result would be two A records for "blog".

Third, the zone file being imported cannot have records that conflict with records in the current zone file. For example, if you have an A record for "site" and then upload a zone file with a CNAME for "site", it will not work and will produce an error indicating no changes have been made. 

Our care team would have been using the same portal as you. There isn't a separate tool for them to upload your zone. However, we do have internal documentation that doesn't reflect that the previous issue has been fixed, so I will make sure that changes. 

Some of the records that I added didn't appear in the DNS manager initially. They did show up a few minutes later after refreshing the page. (The message about 48 hours would be specific to global DNS propagation, not how long it takes for the record to appear in your DNS manager.) If you're having a similar experience but not seeing the records get added, I'd suggest clearing your browser cache. If that doesn't help, then it seems like there may be an issue with the zone file itself. If that's the case, then our care team would need to have our advanced support team take a look at the zone itself. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Helper I

Hey @JesseW 

Thanks for the feedback.

I have to say though that you are just reinforcing the myth that the records will propagate in the next 48 hours. They don't. Trust me. Smiley Happy

The success message is a 'false positive'. And I have 50+ hour waits to prove it, with DNSchecker.org showing that not a single nameserver had received any update after the import zone file told me I had been successful.

You said:

"Some of the records that I added didn't appear in the DNS manager initially. They did show up a few minutes later after refreshing the page. (The message about 48 hours would be specific to global DNS propagation, not how long it takes for the record to appear in your DNS manager.) "

I have never been able to make that happen that the records appear a few minutes later. The fact that they have never appeared in the portal despite the 'success' message has always been the main cause of my concern. How they can propagate if I can't see them in my portal? Smiley Frustrated

I also have test cases when the importer has reported successes AND errors with exactly the same file, used on different occasions.

I'm aware that the zone file format has to be completely accurate and comply to RFC 1085.

Regarding your remark that it only ADDS records, that's not what your help page says. It describes it as a 'merge', but I think that's immaterial in this case.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

@DRY411S I definitely understand what you mean regarding the 48 hour propagation time. Truthfully, specifically for zone changes, it's usually only a matter of hours if not minutes. That's the great majority of the time. However, there are cases where a longer delay does happen, as uncommon as that may be. I think we generally shoot to under promise and over deliver in this case Man Wink

It sounds like our support documentation needs to be updated to be clearer. It is a form of a merge in that unique records from both zone files (existing and imported) are preserved. However, I can understand why someone would think merging would indicate that you end up with records that are updated. I will pass that feedback on. 

New zone records that are added should always appear in the DNS manager within a few minutes (unless some other extenuating circumstance exists). If you were told anything else, that is incorrect and I apologize. 

Helper I

@JesseW thanks for the offline dialogue about this.

I think between us we are reaching conclusions about some of the quirks in the feature, the file format, and feedback messages, and the staff training that, once communicated/fixed will make this much more usable.

I've now proved to myself that it DOES work providing that the user is very, very careful.

Perhaps my request is now more about improving the documentation, support training, and the portal upload 'feedback' that one receives when uploading a file.

Helper I
Solution

@JesseW and I have been performing some testing to clarify the issue and we think that we have got to the bottom of the problem I was having. It is all to do with the TXT records in your import file, and can be described like this:

If your import file is in the correct RFC 1035 format, but contains TXT records with values which contain spaces, and they are not enclosed with quotation marks, then the GoDaddy importer reports success, but in fact does not perform any import at all.

RFC 1035 assumes that TXT records have no spaces. The exporter I used at my other provider assumed this too. However RFC 1464 extended the format of TXT records to include spaces. https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1464.txt

For example if you have a TXT record like this in your import file (as I did):

@                      3600     IN TXT   v=spf1 include:mailgun.org ~all

it needs to be edited to be like this, with quotation marks at the beginning and end of the value field:

@                      3600     IN TXT   "v=spf1 include:mailgun.org ~all"
The import file I was using did not have the quotation marks. The GoDaddy importer does not reject the first format, it accepts it, and reports the import as a success, but the importer does not add any records into your portal, and therefore nothing propagates.

GoDaddy are now aware of this issue and are working on a fix.

During testing, I've also noted these things that might help others:

1. Make sure that your import file has a .txt extension. Even if it is the correct format, if it doesn't have that extension, the importer will report a 'file type and contents' error.
  2. If the importer says that the import is successful, you should see the extra DNS records in your DNS portal within seconds/minutes (not 24 to 48 hours which is what the GoDaddy tech teams tell you). If they don't get added within seconds/minutes, and you have fixed the TXT record issue above, then try again later. This 'false positive' is an issue that Godaddy are looking into.
  3. If the importer error message says that you should contact support, then that's because there is probably something wrong with the importer at the moment, not your file. If the importer does not like your file type or contents, the error message tells you that. GoDaddy are looking at this issue. My recommendation is to try import again later. I have seen the same files accepted and rejected on different occasions.
  4. If the error message says that no updates were made when you upload an import file, then the file is the correct format, but there is nothing in that file which isn't already in your DNS records, or there is a clash between your file and the records that Godaddy already have.
  5. Note that the importer will not accept all your records. The help documentation is clear on this . For example the (deprecated) SPF type record is not imported.
  6. Finally, whilst propagation CAN take up to 48 hours to be complete around the world, it's actually starting to happen immediately. If you doubt that your records have been imported correctly, and are not propagating, then sites like DNSchecker can show you or not whether propagation is occuring. https://dnschecker.org/