cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper I

If I export my DNS zone record, is it an exact copy of what GoDaddy have for my domain?

If I follow the instructions at https://www.godaddy.com/help/export-my-domains-zone-file-records-4166

is the file that I get an exact up to date copy of what GoDaddy are propagating about my domain?

5 REPLIES 5
Super User II
Super User II

Re: If I export my DNS zone record, is it an exact copy of what GoDaddy have for my domain?

Hello You can export your GoDaddy domain's zone file records to use with a third party or to archive. For example, if you want a third party to manage your DNS, you can export the zone file records from GoDaddy (exact copy of GoDaddy domains), and then import them into the third-party system. Archiving your DNS records gives you a backup copy of them if you make a mistake while editing your DNS.

The exported data follows the BIND zone file format and RFC 1035. You must manually edit the exported data before a BIND DNS server can use it directly. These edits will differ based on the requirements of the server to which you are uploading the exported file.

Follow these Instructions to export DNS zone record;

• Click a domain name to go to its DNS Management page:
  • On the DNS Management page, under Advanced Features, click on either Export Zone File (Unix) or Export Zone File (Windows):

Export Zone File

• The system generates a text file that contains the zone file records for your domain name. Save the file to your computer.
Zulfiqar Anees | GoDaddy Pro | Founder/CEO at FastTech Media, TechMag, and ZulWeb.
Helper I

Re: If I export my DNS zone record, is it an exact copy of what GoDaddy have for my domain?

Thank you @ZulWeb 

I know how to export it, my question was around whether the export was a 'real time' update of what GoDaddy nameservers hold about my domain.

The reason for my question was this:

1. I used the Import Zone feature in your screenshot above, with a zone file that I had exported from another provider
  2. Message displayed at GoDaddy portal says that the file is valid and accepted
  3. BUT the DNS records on the screen are not refreshed on the screen. This contradicts what step 4 at https://www.godaddy.com/help/import-my-domains-zone-file-records-4167? claims
  4. So I get GoDaddy chat opened and discuss this with tech support
  5. Support insists that the records have been imported and that they will propagate in 24-48 hours
  6. I ask the question that you have just answered and they refuse to answer my question, and also refuse to escalate to next level, insisting I must wait 24 hours
  7. 24 hours later they are still not in my GoDaddy DNS Management portal
  8. They are not present ANYWHERE in the world on DNSChecker
  9. And they are not in that export file either.
  10. So where are they?

• I think they're lost, they never got imported in the first place.
  • GoDaddy tech support insist they are propagating.
  • I don't believe them.
Helper I

Deleted: Double post.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hey @DRY411S. The export should be a representation of what currently appears in your DNS Manager. It's possible that if you made changes and then immediately exported, records might not be there, but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes for everything to be up to date internally. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Helper I

Thank you.

So for people using the DNS 'import zone file' feature, if you get a success message, and don't see the imported records in your portal, or in an export produced several minutes after the import, then that's probably a sign that the import was in fact, not successful.