cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

How do specify a subdomain www traffic to go to another ip address and not affect my root domain?

I am going to setup a subdomain that will point to a different address than my root domain. I figured out how to do this, but I want to make sure www traffic for that subdomain also points to that address. How do specify a subdomain www traffice to go to another ip address and not affect my root domain.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Subdomain

The www is generally automatically set-up on the root domain, but not for sub-domains.

So you would need to map that similar to how you mapped the sub-domain.

If you were to make a new CNAME record as follows it basically says point this host to the same IP address as that host.

Host: www.subdomain

Points to: subdomain.domain.com

Then, you'll probably need to add www.subdomain.domain.com to the hosting account as an alias.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Subdomain

The www is generally automatically set-up on the root domain, but not for sub-domains.

So you would need to map that similar to how you mapped the sub-domain.

If you were to make a new CNAME record as follows it basically says point this host to the same IP address as that host.

Host: www.subdomain

Points to: subdomain.domain.com

Then, you'll probably need to add www.subdomain.domain.com to the hosting account as an alias.

View solution in original post