cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Glue Record Won't Propagate

Hello, all!

I just set up a new server (I'm a Linux hobbyist). I used to have an old server of sorts, and I used to be able to send emails from it using postfix and dovecot. My ISP's mail forwarding server evidently thinks the name of my email server is still the name of my old email server and refuses to send email from the new server.

I added a "glue record" to my GoDaddy DNS information, but it evidently isn't propagating; when I use https://manytools.org/network/query-dns-records-online/ to do a reverse lookup of my outside NAT IP address, it just returns the name my ISP gives my outside NAT IP, not what the glue records should be telling it.

I filled out out the glue record Monday or Tuesday, and it is now Thursday and the glue records still hasn't propagated. Can someone tell me what, if anything, I'm doing wrong? I'd like to be able to send reminder emails to myself from the spiffy new server, but my ISP keeps rejecting them because the glue record hasn't propagated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I called Tech Support, and I spoke with a Level 1 technician who was on chat with a Level 2 technician, and the Level 2 tech said glue records are no longer supported at GoDaddy, and I would have to install bind9 and do the glue records myself (so I did).

Thanks anyways for replying!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @AirVigilante194,

Welcome to the Community!

In order to use Glue records, the DNS records must be created at GoDaddy through hosted nameservers. When you go into the DNS manager you should have a screen in the lower left to add the 2 host names - these are the glue records. These instructions will help you set that up. Be sure that you enter just the "NS1 and NS2" portion - not the entire domain name. That part is automatic when you create them this way. Follow the instructions to be found in the link at the end of the article to complete the process.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

Thanks so much for replying!

I think there may be some confusion. I don't want to host Domain Name Serving (DNS) on my home machine (bind9 on Linux); I want GoDaddy to still do that. What I want is for a reverse-lookup (nslookup on Windows, dig on Linux) to return my home machine's FQDN when my outside NAT IP address is entered. That's not currently happening, no reverse-lookup record is being found currently.

I can host bind9 on my home machine but would prefer not to do that; I'm fine with using GoDaddy for my DNS servers. I just need reverse-lookup to return my machines FQDN.

I called Tech Support, and I spoke with a Level 1 technician who was on chat with a Level 2 technician, and the Level 2 tech said glue records are no longer supported at GoDaddy, and I would have to install bind9 and do the glue records myself (so I did).

Thanks anyways for replying!

View solution in original post