cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Domain forwarding automatically adds HTML to URL

Hello! Hope someone can help ~ 

I have tried to set up a domain forwarding function - and when I "preview" the website that it is meant to go to, it works fine. 

However, after saving the settings and trying out the website's forwarding function, a 404 error comes up. I noticed that the reason for this is because the URL has changed - the URL had automatically added ".HTML" to the end. When I manually remove the .HTML from the URL, it works. 

In case that is confusing, here is the scenario:

I want abc.com to forward all traffic to 123.com. During the "preview" in the GoDaddy settings, it works fine. However, after saving the settings, I type in "abc.com" in my browser, expecting it to go to "123.com"; however I am sent to "123.com.html" - which doesn't work. 

Is there a way to prevent .HTML automatically being inserted as this messes up the URL.

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@BCFA 

I just tested this on both Chrome & Safari on my mac and it worked correctly - no added HTML or anything else - it just worked - I suggest trying a private browser as it could be a cache issue

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User IV

@BCFA 

Could you by chance post the actual domain you have and a screen capture of the forwarding settings - The GoDaddy system should not add anything to the URL - I have seen some DIY systems do this though.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Thanks for your reply - see the screen shots attached...any idea?

@BCFA 

So your image didn't upload - if you replied via email you will need to log in to get it to post - or put a link to an image sharing services

4.PNG

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

@BCFA 

I just tested this on both Chrome & Safari on my mac and it worked correctly - no added HTML or anything else - it just worked - I suggest trying a private browser as it could be a cache issue

View solution in original post