cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Change domain

Hi everyone

I have a domain registered with godaddy and a hosting service. Both are up for renewal on the same day in a couple of weeks - I bough them together initially.

I want to continue with the hosting service, but I want to choose a new domain name. So I want to let the old domain expire and not renew, and at the same time buy a new domain (which is currently available) starting from the renewal date. And then somehow attach the new domain to my hosting service (which I'm happy to renew).

Is there a way to do this smoothly, keeping my databases and files and settings? Basically all I really want is from the renewal date for my domain to change for example, from "domain1.com" to "domain2.com".

Thanks

Leo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Change domain

@leoleo 

Registering a 2nd domain is just that - it's registering the 2nd domain - I would actually do this before the 1st one expires and then you can link it to the server.

The issue is moreso that once it expires, any links out on the internet  (search engines etc) will be broken - 

Normal "suggested" practice is that you would keep the old domain for a year and redirect traffic from the old to new so that you don't loose any optimization you might have.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Change domain

@leoleo 

Registering a 2nd domain is just that - it's registering the 2nd domain - I would actually do this before the 1st one expires and then you can link it to the server.

The issue is moreso that once it expires, any links out on the internet  (search engines etc) will be broken - 

Normal "suggested" practice is that you would keep the old domain for a year and redirect traffic from the old to new so that you don't loose any optimization you might have.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post