• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Considering migrating from GoDaddy Deluxe Linux C-Panel to Deluxe Managed WordPress

I've had my WordPress site hosted on GoDaddy's Linux platform for about 15 years. Unfortunately I have run into the problem of having an outdated PHP and WordPress version (my site is built on a template that caps at PHP 5.6). The only option there seems to be for creating a staging site that would allow me to run two different PHP versions is GoDaddy's deluxe Managed WordPress hosting.

Before I make the leap I am curious to hear from others who might have done a similar migration. Is it easy? Does it deep technical skills? I have 15 years of content and I want to make sure the move is error-free.

I appreciate any insight or opinions. Thank you,

Red

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User IV

@skyape 

I manage a few 100 sites on the Managed WordPress platform. Short answer is yes it should work and not involve tech skills.... that being said you have a couple of options

1) Get a new cPanel server - which is a closer 1-to-1 migration of what you have, you would have to copy the site / database over to the new server - where it would be running PHP 7.x - doing the migration would be manual - you would also have to adjust some database settings to test it with a temp URL.

2) Get a Managed WordPress site  - and let the system clone the site for you - it would be assigned a myftpupload.com URL - and would be running PHP 7.2 or 7.3 

You could test the site and then move the domain. You could also migrate it as 5.6 and then use the staging site to update it and test everything.

A couple of notes  / recommendations - 

1) I personally would recommend Managed WordPress over the cPanel server if for just out of the fact that you get an SSL certificate and also backups.

2) Managed WordPress has a clone feature as part of the setup - however depending on the size of your site (MB wise) It can take 30+ minutes and I have seen it timeout before so just be aware of that.

3) The only other thing to be aware of - is that there is a known issue of "disconnecting" a hosted domain to be able then link it with another product and support has to get involved. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
    Super User IV

@skyape 

I manage a few 100 sites on the Managed WordPress platform. Short answer is yes it should work and not involve tech skills.... that being said you have a couple of options

1) Get a new cPanel server - which is a closer 1-to-1 migration of what you have, you would have to copy the site / database over to the new server - where it would be running PHP 7.x - doing the migration would be manual - you would also have to adjust some database settings to test it with a temp URL.

2) Get a Managed WordPress site  - and let the system clone the site for you - it would be assigned a myftpupload.com URL - and would be running PHP 7.2 or 7.3 

You could test the site and then move the domain. You could also migrate it as 5.6 and then use the staging site to update it and test everything.

A couple of notes  / recommendations - 

1) I personally would recommend Managed WordPress over the cPanel server if for just out of the fact that you get an SSL certificate and also backups.

2) Managed WordPress has a clone feature as part of the setup - however depending on the size of your site (MB wise) It can take 30+ minutes and I have seen it timeout before so just be aware of that.

3) The only other thing to be aware of - is that there is a known issue of "disconnecting" a hosted domain to be able then link it with another product and support has to get involved. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post