cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two domain names - One hosting plan [SEO]

I'm new to primary and secondary domains. Yesterday I bought my domain alphabetnews.de. Now I'd like to use it with my "Deluxe cPanel hosting plan". I added the new domain as a secondary domain.

However. Now I can call myprimarydomain.com/alphabetnews.de and it shows the same content as alphabetnews.de does. This will make Google think that one of the sites copied each other and will result in a very bad SEO rating. How can I avoid that?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Two domain names - One hosting plan [SEO]

Hi @reditec, thanks for posting.

You have two basic options for this. You can remove the first domain as the primary domain, set a "dummy" domain/site as the primary domain, and then set both domains as secondary domains. Alternatively, if you wish to completely separate them, you can use two separate hosting plans.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

Can I make it so that Google won't list the dummy domain (also not the /domainname.ending folders)?

Hi @reditec.

You might be able to do this with a robots.txt or something similar, but I'm not familiar enough with SEO to say for certain. Perhaps another Community member would be able to help out further in this regard. The dummy domain also does not need to be a valid or resolvable name, causing the root to be inaccessible.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

So you can pick an invalid domain?