• GoCentral | Website Builder
  • GoCentral | Website Builder

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

Different video experience depending on start point (Navigation Bar vs. under Home Page)

The playing of the same YouTube video is different depending on where I access it.

The top navigation has an entry for videos.  When you clicked, it opens YouTube in a separate window and launches the video.  No problem here

I added a page under the Home page which indicates video.  I enter the same URL here but when clicked, it changes the "thumbnail" of the video to a black box which says:

Video Unavailable

Watch this video on YouTube

Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner.

More videos on YouTube....  (shows image of another video)

If I click the hyperlink Watch this video on YouTube it does open the video but this is not intuitive to a user.  User would be more likely to click the image of the other video.

Assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
    Community Manager
    Community Manager
    Solution

Re: Different video experience depending on start point (Navigation Bar vs. under Home Page)

Hi @reneeosburn. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It sounds like you're trying to embed a video, but the owner of the video has disabled the ability to do so. Typically when this happens, this is what you see:

youtube embed disabled.png

If you want to embed the video in your site, you'll need to contact the owner of the video to request that they enable embedding. If you are the video owner, you can change this setting within the advanced settings for the video in question within your YouTube studio. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Re: Different video experience depending on start point (Navigation Bar vs. under Home Page)

Thanks Jesse for the prompt response. 

I have contacted the video owner to check on the embedding setting. 

That said, I find it odd that the video launches properly (immediately opens a separate window and launches the video in YouTube) when accessing it from the Top Navigation.  That would imply to me, as a novice, that the embedding is set to allow.

However, it is only when  launching the video from a different page under the Home Page does it produce the error message.

Community Manager
    Community Manager
    Solution

@reneeosburn - The link in your navigation or on the video goes directly to YouTube, which is why it works. This isn't the same as embedding content. Embedding content basically means you are displaying something on a page that has a  source outside of your own site. A link just instructs the browser to go to a different site. Hopefully, that makes sense. 

If you wanted to provide a link to the video in your page content, you could do that too. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.