cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Transferring domain name host company

Hey all, so I was looking into buying a domain name for my website and was just doing some research on it. I learnt that people keep hopping around companies to save up on costs. Can someone explain me how does it all work? Like if I am with google right now, and then I transfer my domain to NameCheap, can I then go back to google? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @barkietrin7,

Welcome to the Community!

Some people use transfers in order to "save money" because transfer fees are usually less than the renewal of a domain. It's often used as an incentive to move to that registrar. The transfer fee for most TLDs will add another year of registration, so that renewal is included. (Not all domains are able to be renewed in this way.) Yes, you can transfer away from one registrar, only to transfer back to the same one after a year. You'll need to be careful over any loss of DNS records and be knowledgeable of the way in which the DNS is handled at each registrar. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @barkietrin7,

Welcome to the Community!

Some people use transfers in order to "save money" because transfer fees are usually less than the renewal of a domain. It's often used as an incentive to move to that registrar. The transfer fee for most TLDs will add another year of registration, so that renewal is included. (Not all domains are able to be renewed in this way.) Yes, you can transfer away from one registrar, only to transfer back to the same one after a year. You'll need to be careful over any loss of DNS records and be knowledgeable of the way in which the DNS is handled at each registrar. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post