cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Something has gone wrong with my domain transfer

In May of this year I purchased a domain from IONOS for my advertising agency and immediately put in a transfer request to GoDaddy and purchased a hosting packaged from GoDaddy.

Subsequently I was told I could NOT transfer the domain because it was not 60 days old.

So I called GoDaddy and had one of their representatives CANCEL the transfer to GoDaddy. I went back to my original registrar IONOS and set up the website hosting there and it’s been running great for months.

Fast forward to now and low and behold I get a message from GoDaddy that my domain transfer is complete? What? Why?!!

GoDaddy hijacked my domain, my website is now in limbo and I can’t transfer it back because it’s locked for 60 days!!

This transfer was not sanctioned by me and I need this fixed ASAP. I emailed review60@godaddy and my plea has fallen on deaf ears. My site has been in limbo for a week.

Can anyone help or do I need to contact my attorney?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Manager

Hi @Relius. Thanks for posting. Typically, if a domain is purchased and not used, it will expire after 30 days as @PL281 mentioned. However, if the transfer is initiated and fails for the domain being too young, it stays active. When the transfer fails, we send an email letting you know what will happen. Essentially, that we'll start the transfer again when your domain is at the 60 day mark. I'm sorry if you missed that message.

My guess is that when you called to get the transfer refunded, it wasn't canceled correctly and stayed active. In that situation, because the transfer codes have already been entered, the transfer would then reinitialize. Our customer care team can verify if this is what happened. 

To @PL281's point, your previous registrar should have emailed at that time as well to let you know what was happening. Also, to get your website back up, you'll just need to update the DNS to point to your hosting provider. 

I hope this helps add some clarity. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Super User IV

@Relius 

I am an end user like you so I will be limited in what I can specifically do. Something seems odd with this and I'd like see if I can help you out with this.

1) Domain transfers generally cancel / refund automatically after 30 days if they are not accepted.

2) You should have gotten an email from IONOS stating the domain was going to be transferred

3) Regardless which register that domain is with, you should be able to point the DNS wherever you need / want to so your site is up.

What is your domain so I can look at how it is currently set?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I understand I can point DNS, But I feel that just condones bad behavior. Why won’t GoDaddy just fess up and fix the problem?

@Relius

As I mentioned I am an end user - so I can't speak to exactly what
happened. In all my years of doing domain management / hosting, I've never
heard of something like this happening. As per my original response usually
what I've seen happen on domain transfers is they expire after 30 days if
they are not accepted.

You stated there was a 60 day lock so I'm not sure how it could have been
accepted. Also IONOS should have sent you an email stating that a transfer
request was pending and if you didn't act on it after 5-7 days it would
transfer - I don't recall if they have a passive approval or an active one.

If the domain did indeed transfer, the only thing I could think of is that
IONOS had accepted the transfer when you first attempted it, but didn't
release it until the 60 day window was up.

If you could provide the domain, I maybe able to find some of the WHOIS /
Status history in the public record to see what happened.

In regards to GoDaddy "Fixing it" - they aren't able to just transfer
domains as they wish - assuming this is a .com domain it has to go through
ICANN and the 60 day lock is in place as a regulatory item to help prevent
domain hijacking
I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Acquiregy.com

Community Manager

Hi @Relius. Thanks for posting. Typically, if a domain is purchased and not used, it will expire after 30 days as @PL281 mentioned. However, if the transfer is initiated and fails for the domain being too young, it stays active. When the transfer fails, we send an email letting you know what will happen. Essentially, that we'll start the transfer again when your domain is at the 60 day mark. I'm sorry if you missed that message.

My guess is that when you called to get the transfer refunded, it wasn't canceled correctly and stayed active. In that situation, because the transfer codes have already been entered, the transfer would then reinitialize. Our customer care team can verify if this is what happened. 

To @PL281's point, your previous registrar should have emailed at that time as well to let you know what was happening. Also, to get your website back up, you'll just need to update the DNS to point to your hosting provider. 

I hope this helps add some clarity. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

I received ZERO confirmation this was going to take place. If you work for godaddy, please check my account and let me know when I was given notice.

Again, I canceled the domain transfer request in May through a GoDaddy representative. My domain was set up elsewhere and working great and out of the blue two months later I get a “your domain was transferred successfully” message from GoDaddy. Why?

Which means GoDaddy here is at fault yet is taking no responsibility and leaving a customer of 20+ years in the lurch! 

Hi @Reliusm,

The notice of transfer would have been sent out of the losing (current) registrar's account. There is usually the option to decline in their email. If you did not receive such a notice, you will need to contact that registrar for more information.

The "why" of the transfer was detailed to you in the previous reply by @JesseW. All registrars are prohibited from transferring a domain within 60 days of registration.  "If the transfer is initiated and fails for the domain being too young, it stays active." Then when 60 days elapse, because you already authorized the transfer with your code, the process was completed through the Registry. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support