cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Bought GoDaddy domain but seller refuses to transfer domain

Hey there,

I bought a domain over the GoDaddy auction site (via Direct Buy, there was no bidding) and paid the money for it. However the domain didn't find its way into my account. After contacting support to investigate it, it turns out that apparently the seller refuses to transfer the domain so GoDaddy decided to cancel the transfer and refund me my money. Unfortunately I invested already into marketing materials for this domain and need it, so this is not an option for me.  I have the feeling that seller might try to make even more money out of it and will try to sell it somewhere else.

Has anyone else experienced this? Support is really unresponsive in this matter and since GoDaddy is the registrar I don't understand why it is not possible for them to force a transfer. I am thinking on putting my lawyer on it but still hoping to find a better solution since legal actions usually take a long time. 

Hopefully someone here has an advice on how to get the domain I purchased transferred.

Looking forward on your replys. Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Bought GoDaddy domain but seller refuses to transfer domain

@Sunrise01 wrote:

Hey there,

I bought a domain over the GoDaddy auction site (via Direct Buy, there was no bidding) and paid the money for it. However the domain didn't find its way into my account. After contacting support to investigate it, it turns out that apparently the seller refuses to transfer the domain so GoDaddy decided to cancel the transfer and refund me my money. Unfortunately I invested already into marketing materials for this domain and need it, so this is not an option for me.  I have the feeling that seller might try to make even more money out of it and will try to sell it somewhere else.

Has anyone else experienced this? Support is really unresponsive in this matter and since GoDaddy is the registrar I don't understand why it is not possible for them to force a transfer. I am thinking on putting my lawyer on it but still hoping to find a better solution since legal actions usually take a long time. 

Hopefully someone here has an advice on how to get the domain I purchased transferred.

Looking forward on your replys. Thank you!

@Sunrise01 Honestly I've never heard of a "direct buy" service. Are you referring to the Domain Buy/Broker service? If this is the case then the $69 or so that you pay Godaddy isn't for the actual domain, it's for them to initiate negotiations with the owner to sell the domain. If you purchased the domain through an auction listing which had a set "buy it now" price then typically these domains are already held at Godaddy but not always. If you purchased the domain through an auction listing like I just mentioned there's really not much that Godaddy does if the seller decides to back out, they typically will suspend the seller's auction account. Have you looked in the whois to see if the owner's information is listed there?

----

Re: Bought GoDaddy domain but seller refuses to transfer domain

Thank you for your reply @justingodfrey  

It was through the second one you mentioned: An auction with a set buy price. The whois just states the information from GoDaddy. Really sucks that GoDaddy themselves aren't doing anything about it besides suspending the sellers account...