cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Beginner question about transferring a domain. Please help

Hello, I'm a beginner to web development, so this might be a stupid question. I had a simple Squarespace website up for a while with my art portfolio on it, but now I'm trying to make a new website with Wordpress.org using Dreamhost as the web host.

I wanted to keep the same domain name so I requested a domain transfer from Squarespace to Dreamhost, but I'm not sure what this entails. Does only the domain name get transferred? Or does it still link to my old Squarespace website? I'm trying to start from scratch and build a new website with a Wordpress theme using my old domain name, but that won't work if my Squarespace site is still up and running.

What do I do next? If I delete my old Squarespace site after the domain is transferred, will I be able to build a new site with Wordpress with the same domain name?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@rashimkavel7 

Typically what will happen is the DNS settings will remain the same - so after the domain is transferred you will need to update the DNS settings to point to DreamHost and then you can build the site with the same domain - One option is to leave the site pointing to SquareSpace - then setup new.YOURDOMAIN.com and build out the site with that. Then there is a plugin called Go Live URL which can update the database and change the URL to www.YOURDOMAIN.com

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User IV

@rashimkavel7 

Typically what will happen is the DNS settings will remain the same - so after the domain is transferred you will need to update the DNS settings to point to DreamHost and then you can build the site with the same domain - One option is to leave the site pointing to SquareSpace - then setup new.YOURDOMAIN.com and build out the site with that. Then there is a plugin called Go Live URL which can update the database and change the URL to www.YOURDOMAIN.com

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post