cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

GoDaddy Domain Auction - won then lost domain?

Please explain this GoDaddy..... 

I won a GoDaddy Auction for a domain name that I wanted REALLY REALLY bad, even have the screenshot to prove it, then when I log into my account after work, HAPPY that I won the auction and ready to utilize the domain name in the next couple weeks, I see a clearly OPPOSITE message stating I lost the bid to an "Automatic Bid" I'm only assuming from the GoDaddy Robots (scammers) that stole my winning bid AFTER THE AUCTION was OVER.  See screenshots, I am not sharing the domain name in case others want to try and outbid me on it in the future. 

Timestamp of my WINNING BID screenshot message at 4:56pm clearly stating the Auction ended at 4:41pm, THEN when I get home and check on my desktop PC at 5:22pm a message showing I was outbid by $5.00 by an "Automatic" bid. 

I emailed my screenshots to the Auction Team, they stated there is a 'Proxy Bid" that can still take place, NO... I don't believe that **bleep** and when I asked about more information on these proxy bids the gentleman on the phone could not provide ANY information to share.

My question is GoDaddy... How does an auction END and clearly show a winner, THEN half an hour later change and show another bid amount took place and I lost?

I will pursue legal help and get my domain name, and I will win.

Screenshot_20190404-165647.jpgScreenshot_20190404-172216.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Super User I
Super User I

Re: GoDaddy Domain Auction - won then lost domain?

@MichaelGamble wrote:

Please explain this GoDaddy..... 

I won a GoDaddy Auction for a domain name that I wanted REALLY REALLY bad, even have the screenshot to prove it, then when I log into my account after work, HAPPY that I won the auction and ready to utilize the domain name in the next couple weeks, I see a clearly OPPOSITE message stating I lost the bid to an "Automatic Bid" I'm only assuming from the GoDaddy Robots (scammers) that stole my winning bid AFTER THE AUCTION was OVER.  See screenshots, I am not sharing the domain name in case others want to try and outbid me on it in the future. 

Timestamp of my WINNING BID screenshot message at 4:56pm clearly stating the Auction ended at 4:41pm, THEN when I get home and check on my desktop PC at 5:22pm a message showing I was outbid by $5.00 by an "Automatic" bid. 

I emailed my screenshots to the Auction Team, they stated there is a 'Proxy Bid" that can still take place, NO... I don't believe that **bleep** and when I asked about more information on these proxy bids the gentleman on the phone could not provide ANY information to share.

My question is GoDaddy... How does an auction END and clearly show a winner, THEN half an hour later change and show another bid amount took place and I lost?

I will pursue legal help and get my domain name, and I will win.

Screenshot_20190404-165647.jpgScreenshot_20190404-172216.jpg

@MichaelGamble  I've participated in thousands of auctions and have never heard of this or had it happen. I would email auctions@godaddy.com with this info and try to get it resolved asap.

---

Save money on Godaddy products and get a .com domain for under $1: http://bit.ly/2E7MV0I
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @MichaelGamble. Thanks for reaching out. After looking into this, I've found it's possible to see this notification if the window where you're betting is never manually refreshed/closed. Our developers are aware of this and working on a fix. However, any time you're outbid, you should receive an email notification about it. This doesn't indicate that there was an error with the betting system, simply the way that our website is displaying information. Sorry for any confusion.

Should you decide to use the auction service again in the future, I'd recommend using the proxy bid service to set the price you're willing to pay. That way, you wouldn't be outbid for less than that price. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

The GoDaddy system is a joke, no offense. The fact that you can't see the current price, even if there's hundreds of bids/offers. That's really not an auction in my eyes. More like buying real estate than buying something at auction, yet even then you're still aware to some degree of the amount that others offer...

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @gk01. Thanks for posting. I'm not sure I understand. You should be able to see the current bid price for a domain in its listing. You may need to refresh the page to see the most recent activity though. Feel free to explain further if I'm not understanding you. 

GDA listing.png

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Hey, I think I was mixing up to the types of "auctions." I do have two other questions, however.

1. What does the asterisk beside the price signify?

2. Is there a detailed description of each type somewhere? The tool-tip doesn't provide a lot of information.

gd.png

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @gk01. The * next to the price is explained toward the bottom of the page:

* Plus a one year domain name registration renewal fee and ICANN fee, if applicable

As for the descriptions of the auction types, there isn't a single place these are explained, unfortunately. Here's what I found out:

• Expiring Auctions: These are domains that have been allowed to expire by their registrant. GoDaddy posts these for auction automatically. 
  • Public Auctions: This essentially eliminates domains listed by GoDaddy (like the expired auctions listed above).
  • Public Buy Now: Buy Now auctions are those that have a price that the seller has agreed to sell the domain for and forgo any bidding. 
  • Closeout Domains: These are listed as a 5-day "buy now" option for expired domain name auctions that have ended.
  • Value Priced Domains: These are domains GoDaddy are listing that were acquired in various ways. They are often priced at a lower rate than other auctions listings.
  • Offer/Counter-Offer: These are traditional domain auctions where bidding takes place. 
  • DomainConnect: This is a legacy direct sale option that isn't used currently.

For more information, take a look at these articles:

Since the original post has been solved and this thread has gotten a bit off topic, it will be closed. If you have further questions, please consider creating a new topic to ask them. Thanks!