cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Removing a payment method

Hi everyone,

My name is Basha and i am facing a difficullty removing my payment method.

the message i get when i try to delete the payment method is that it is associated with a product set to auto-renewal.

So what i did was switching off the auto renewal to this only one product i have and went back to delete my payment method, but the surprise is that i still got the same message! "unable to delete this payment method as it is associated with a product set to auto-renewal.

Can anyone tell me how can i delete my payment method please.

Thank you in advance

Bash

38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous
Not applicable
Solution

Re: Removing a payment method

Hi,

When you switch off auto renewal, you won't be charged at the end of this period. But you must have at least one payment method applied for a currently running service. When the renewal period is up, if set to not renew, then you will no longer be charged. 

I have no auto renewal on anything. I need to remove all my payment methods.

WHY CAN I NOT DO THIS?

Same situation here. I think it's BS that we paid for something, don't have it set to auto renew, and yet GoDaddy wants to keep the payment information. That's like giving an ex a set of keys to my house that I can never get back. Total Bull.

I totally agree that this is totally unacceptable. I set-up the service for someone and wish to hand the account over to them. Before I do this I want to ensure that my payment method is deleted. It will be up to them if they wish to add a new payment method and switch auto-renew on.

Is it really in the terms and conditions that they will keep our payment card methods on file when it's not on auto-renew?!? I'm going to check with the relevant bank advisory body if they refuse to delete my card details.

It's this kind of total disregard for the customer that will stop me from using this outfit again.

i 'm going to give this A/C to another one and i should remove my payment methods or the other one will use my credit cards

This is very bad business practice. Forcing, tricking and taking hostage of your customers. In the long run, you will loose customers. Please don't force your customers to do anything they don't want to or buy. Please allow me to remove my Credit Card details. Please do not charge my Credit Card that is associated to Customer Number [Removed by moderator] Please delete my Account once my subscription expires (05/15/2017). Thank you!

Employee
Employee

Hello @theostein!

Thank you for posting. If you'd like your credit card removed from your account, you will need to delete any products associated with it and remove it from your account. Our support representatives cannot do this on your behalf. If you need guidance, please reach out to our support team.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Great idea heather. I won't be hostage to godaddy holding my cc details without my permission - consider your service terminated and I won't be using you again. disgusting practice - shame on you. bye.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@mark120 Sorry you feel that way. Credit card details are never used without the consent of the customer as indicated by their account settings. If having a payment method on file is something that's a deal-breaker for you, then moving to another provider may be your only option. We hate to see you go but wish you the best of luck. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

So I have a old prepaid gift card that prolly has like .16 on it. I've added this to fix this problem when I hand the account to my client. Hope this helps. 

i tried it but it is not working

i need to remove my CC, i tried a lot with no benefit,

i need to HO the account to the developer and now i don't know what to do

you are taking us a hostage like said before

This is ridiculous and a violation of Canadian privacy laws. I am the current webmaster for a non-profit. I do not want my personal credit card information to be visible to others in the organization that will need to use the account.

New

I am a freelancer and I want to be able to purchase websites with my credit card and delete it after the account is setup, so I can send it to my client .i there no solution to this?

New

Me too, I'll be seeing you never again after closing my account soon.  Ga buy!

Community Manager
Community Manager

@cherac wrote:

I am a freelancer and I want to be able to purchase websites with my credit card and delete it after the account is setup, so I can send it to my client .i there no solution to this?

@cherac - In that case, I'd suggest setting up a GoDaddy Pro account and using that to send an order to your client so they can check out the products themselves. Either that or have them set up their own GoDaddy account and provide you with delegate access with management and purchasing.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

This is absolutely dishonest based on the default setup process and fussy user selections and experience! 
The diselecting / (opting out) process should be outright clear, simple and responsive, just like when selecting. When I opted in I din't have to go through any chat-process or call-center, so I expect opting out should be simply the same, and final!

Could you kindly address this...?

assuming all auto renew is turned off, add a checking account with fake numbers and details. perhaps call it something like fakeAccountSoCanRemoveCC so you will know what it is for. Then when you try to delete your CC it will let you set your checking account as a replacement for fake autorenew. Obviously don't try and bill anything to this fake account.

actually - even though this worked for me (adding a fake checking account and deleting all credit cards) - I hit the back button in the browser and it went back to the credit card details page - of the one I deleted. Even if I reloaded that page it still had the credit card details. So even though the credit card details are "deleted" as a payment method, it seems they still store the credit card details in their system so if you know the right url you can still activate the card again. And if anyone hacks godaddy to get everyones cc details, the hackers will also get the details of your "deleted" credit card as it is not actually deleted.

New

Unfortunately, I am getting bounced between GoDaddy and my credit card company.  I am pretty frustrated with this.

My credit card expired in 2014 and when they sent me the card, I did not activate it.  I shredded my card and my files.  So... from my perspective, this card was no longer valid and would not have any more charges on it.

Fast forward to 2017 when the credit card Collections Department tells me that I owe them $115.65 and that if I don't pay up, it will affect my perfect credit bureau rating.  I call them and they tell me it's a charge from GoDaddy. I have had no other charges.  They tell me that GoDaddy can force them to pay up if they show a valid contract, which I'm guessing is this auto renew thing.

At the same time, GoDaddy makes it near impossible for me to figure out how to get out of an auto renew and here now I'm reading that no one should be able to charge me if the expiry date is past... And yet they did... and they "can't undo it, because it's past the 30-day thing".  They suggested that I recoup my money by selling the domain name.  Thanks.  What a great suggestion.

Okay, so I'm stuck between my credit card company, who won't undo this and GoDaddy who says that I should have disputed it within 30 days.  Somewhere lost in all this by both sides (because they are big companies and the customer service people I'm dealing with can't do anything but follow rules) is that my credit card that was not valid since 2014 gets charged in 2017 and now my credit rating gets affected over at $115.65 charge.  Peanuts for these big huge corporations, but a big deal for little people like me.

So, I guess I'm going to forgo swimming lessons for my young kids this fall, so that my credit card company and GoDaddy can make their millions by bouncing me around over these policies.  Or... better yet, I'll go to my journalist friends and get them to help me get out this story of how big companies like to abuse little people. 

For the record, my credit is unblemished, I've paid my taxes every year, I follow deadlines when they make sense... and when a company tells me "oh hey, your credit card is expired, want to renew?  if not, you're losing your domain.  if you don't mind, you don't have to do anything!"  I'm thinking, gee, that makes a lot of sense.  My credit card has expired.  MY CREDIT CARD EXPIRED YEARS AND YEARS AGO.  Not to worry.  But NOOOOOO, they can force my credit card company to pay it up because they can show that I have a contract.

So.  No one will do anything for me.  Everyone is going to sit back and make $100 off of little old me.  Oh, I should have figured all this out from the small print, disputed it 30 days, why didn't I do that... etc. etc.  THE POINT IS THAT COMPANIES ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO CHARGE US WHEN OUR CREDIT CARD HAS EXPIRED!!!!

Signed,

Someone who is normally patient, but feeling pretty annoyed by this.

Very True

Removing a payment method

Hi everyone,

I want to remove my payment details card details auto saved in account settings, I go to payment method as per help but the edit button or link not show. 

I need to remove all my payment methods. WHY CAN I NOT DO THIS?

Divyang

HIGH ALERT  THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO REMOVE THE PAYMENT METHOD???????????????? WHY THIS IS SO ??? WHY YOU WANT TO KEEP THE PAYMENT METHOD LIVE TO THE PRODUCT. BEFORE SELLING YOUR PRODUCTS YOU SHOULD KEEP ALL TOOLS READY. ONE OF THE VICTIM WHO PURCHASED AND GOT TRAPPED..............

NO RECOMMENDATION TO ANYONE  FROM OUR SIDE TO PURCHASE PRODUCT FROM YOU AS OUR SENSITIVE INFORMATION IS ON RISK.  WHY WE ARE GETTING FORCE TO KEEP OUR PAYMENT METHOD LIVE.

It is awful. I am an IT administrator paying with my personal credit card for my company for later reimbursement. Now I cannot remove my CC information.

Although auto-renewal is turned off for now, the login credential is company's and any IT admin can log in and turn auto-renew back on, or worse, go ahead and purchase any product with my CC, perhaps long after I leave this company.

Please let me remove my CC information.

Cannot remove credit card!

Hi,

I bought a domain from GoDaddy and I need it for one year. I removed my subscription for next year and now I want to delete from payment methods my credit card! When I try to delete it, I receive an error message:

"This payment method is associated to one of your products for auto payment. Please add replacement."

I don't have auto payment products any more and I want to delete my card. So the there are two options:

1. I don't have any listed payments but you will still charge me for the domain next year.

2. You want to save my credit card without my permission.

I am extremely disappointed!

P.S. I don't know if this is the right place to ask but you don't have support in my country and your chat is shut down!

Re: Cannot remove credit card!

Same here!!!!, snd this GoCentral trial seems to be perpetual.  PLEASE REMOVE MY CARD!!!!  It won't even let me upload the screen shot.  I will use GoCentral against them if I get a trial started email again. My bank will send me a new card, they told me I'm not alone.

You should be able to invalidate the card by changing the expiry date or something. You can also create a PayPal account with zero funds and assign it to the account, then you can delete the CC payment method, followed by going into your PayPal account and cancelling the contract with these guys just to be on the safe side. 

Thanks for your help,

I tried all you suggested but it doesn't work and there if no PayPal option anymore that I saw.  Thanks again.

Yeah that's odd. Try the on-line "chat support" and tell them you want to add PayPal payment to your account. 

Unfortunately online chat is unavailable. Changing expiration date doesn't work too.

Thank's all,

I'll go through chat tomorrow.

Yeah it's off line for me too, but it was working just a few days ago. Maybe wait a while for it to come back although who knows what's going on with this company. You may have to cancel the CC if you cannot get it removed. Good luck!

Thank you,

Like you said, "who knows what's going on with this company"

Just so you know, I already tried to get my last payment method removed through chat support, but after hours of relentless arguing I was repeatedly told it could not be removed and eventually they disconnected the support session. I expect that you will not have any better success than I had, but it's worth a try. If that fails, and if there's no way to invalidate the CC on file, then they will have left you with no choice but to cancel it. 

Reminds me of the song Hotel California ...

"Last thing I remember, I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
'Relax'. said the night man, 'We are programmed to receive
You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave!'"

Community Manager
Community Manager

As long as you have active products in your account, you will need to have a valid payment method on file.  If you do not wish to have a product renew, you can disable the auto-renewal option on any active products.  Removing the auto-renewal option would prevent the product from being renewed by our system.  In that situation, you would need to log in to manually renew the product, or let it expire.  

If you cancel all your products so that nothing is active, you would be able to completely remove all payment methods from the system.  

Thank you.

MPC

I  was able to finally remove it after I closed my account,I went to another host.  Thanks for all your help!

GoDaddy, you are lying your users. Your are the worst site ever. Even when I deleted my domain and the credit card, when I open again my payment url - https://account.godaddy.com/payment-methods/xxxxxxx/edit, I can still see my credit card details. 

So, even without permission, you still save my credit card details!!!!! What do you want? To go to a court for saving my credit card with permission? Unbelievable! 

New

Same issue:

In a chat with Support, it was the answer:

"Do you see the option there? If it works, then the system is allowed to. If it doesn't work then it's already too late and will have to stay until you delete all products".

I would be better to search for a honest vendor . . .

This company is shady as hell and they know it.  Constant spamming you to renew your domains, inability to delete all payment methods, lack of an accessible and responsive customer service, etc. DO NOT REGISTER NEW DOMAIN NAMES WITH THIS UNSCRUPULOUS SHAM OF A COMPANY!  I won't be.